Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kde 4.1 RC1 is out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

kde 4.1 RC1 is out!

I keep trying to like kde4.

Its getting better, but the kde4.1 beta2 was still buggy as all heck.

Is this one any better, or should I still hold out? Post your thoughts and comments on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: kde 4.1 RC1 is out!

I noticed and reported three bugs after installing it, however it may be because not all of the required packages are updated yet. I recommend to stay away from RC1 until tomorrow, by then everything should be in the repos. (Every time I think it's fully updated, another ten or so packages appear).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree completely. I spent most of the evening in a dependency hell and still can't get plasma to not crash on me after upgrading earlier today.

Wait a day or so, hopefully everything in the repos will be updated to what it needs be tomorrow sometime.

Beans

It seems to work okay for me. I was really looking forward to kwin's cube plugin but it's not there for me... maybe it wasn't updated yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I know that kdeplasma-addons isn't in the repos yet.

I filed a bug about the plasma crashes, and the reason for the crashes was that I had the kdeplasmoids package installed which isn't used anymore, they are not binary compatible per Aaron Seigo. The replacement is kdeplasma-addons. So if you have those old playground/kdeplasmoids packages installed, remove them and install kdeplasma-addons when it becomes available and that should fix the crashes if you are experiencing any.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silverpig View Post
    It seems to work okay for me. I was really looking forward to kwin's cube plugin but it's not there for me... maybe it wasn't updated yet.
    The cube plugin won't be part of 4.1 as it missed the feature freeze.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    The cube plugin won't be part of 4.1 as it missed the feature freeze.
    Ahh, thanks. It's the only thing I'm really missing right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by jlacroix View Post
    I know that kdeplasma-addons isn't in the repos yet.

I filed a bug about the plasma crashes, and the reason for the crashes was that I had the kdeplasmoids package installed which isn't used anymore, they are not binary compatible per Aaron Seigo. The replacement is kdeplasma-addons. So if you have those old playground/kdeplasmoids packages installed, remove them and install kdeplasma-addons when it becomes available and that should fix the crashes if you are experiencing any.
    What is the Bug no.

I'm having the same problem myself but removing kdeplasmoids doesn't seem to be the fix for me.
    Steve

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.
    - Doctor Who

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakerj View Post
    What is the Bug no.

I'm having the same problem myself but removing kdeplasmoids doesn't seem to be the fix for me.
    You need to remove all previous packages, such as playground or kdeplasmoids AND install kdeplasma-addons, which isn't in the repositories yet. Without installing kdeplasma-addons there won't be a difference as far as I've been able to tell.

Regardless, the bug I reported is below, see if it matches your crashes and if not post a new bug:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=166666

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silverpig View Post
    Ahh, thanks. It's the only thing I'm really missing right now.
    Maybe it will appear on kde-apps.org before 4.2 - you never know It was merged into KDE4 trunk yesterday, so all being well, it will be in 4.2, at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast