Thread: Ubuntu samba share no longer accessible - The group name could not be found

Beans

Ubuntu samba share no longer accessible - The group name could not be found

Hi,

I set up some samba shares on my Ubuntu box using this great guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605, and they were working superbly until recently. I can no longer access my shares on my Ubuntu box from my Windows boxes and this error pops up "The group name could not be found". I haven't made any changes to the samba shares or network setup since I set it up. Accessing shares on my Windows boxes from the Ubuntu box still works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu samba share no longer accessible - The group name could not be found

I have the same problem, and it started just now too. Samba is a timebomb?

Syslog says

create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
    EDIT -- commenting out force user and force group in smb.conf worked like a charm. I'm stumped.

Example:
    [Music]
    path = /media/misc/Music
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 0755
    directory mask = 0755
    # force user = <snipped>
    # force group = <snipped>
    Last edited by Jay_R; July 17th, 2008 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I also had samba shares working for ages, and then they stopped working a little while ago. Like the post above, commenting out the force user and force group lines in smb.conf solved the problem.

Beans

Commenting out worked for me.

THANK YOU!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Worked here also. Went into /etc/samba, then opened smb.conf with "gksu gedit" and made the change. Restarted samba with "sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop" then "sudo /etc/init.d/samba start". I saw results immediately. Thanks for the tip.

Beans

Thanks so much for the help. Been Stumped for days!

I can't remember how many times i've combed the samba file to figure it all out. Much apprieciated!

Cheers,
    Utemetsu

Beans

I did an upgrade to latest ubuntu distro (from 8.04 to 8.10) and Samba was updated to 3.23 which fixed issue.

It shows as BUG 5696 fix http://samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.2.2.html, but look out! Me thinks between 3.23 and 3.32 it will break again because the 3.32 release shows BUG 6155 http://samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.3.2.html fixed...