Thread: Mystery Firefox-3.0 Problem in Hardy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Mystery Firefox-3.0 Problem in Hardy

Hello,

Hope this is the right forum. I've been running Hardy (great!) since its release. Really enjoyed Firefox 3.0--until my system suddenly reverted to Firefox-2 (possibly related to Compriz problems?).

I managed to relocate 3.0 and even to place a link to it back onto the Applications menu and a gnome panel. The trouble is that, if I (a) click on the gnome panel link, it returns me to the (3.0) EULA with no changes saved from the last session. If I (b) select it from the Applications menu, it returns me to the Mozilla home page, also with no changes saved from the last session (also no history, bookmarks etc.). HOWEVER--if I enter 'sudo firefox-3.0' in a terminal window, it comes up perfectly with all data and changes intact--however, attempts to open hyperlinks from other apps (e.g. Thunderbird) have the same results as (a) and (b).

I have a couple vague hypotheses, but would be most grateful for any advice. Might the Firefox 'folder' be in the wrong place? I HAVE reinstalled it--might I have a duplicate, installed in the wrong directory? Where should the 'folder/s' be (and what should it/they be called--Firefox? Firefox 3.0?) Could it be a permissions problem (for saving changes)? Can anyone tell me what a proper Firefox 3.0 configuration should look like in Hardy?

Having a well-integrated browser is a high priority for me--really hoping I don't have to do a clean install (very complicated for various reasons)

Thanks in Advance,

mike

Beans

Re: Mystery Firefox-3.0 Problem in Hardy

Was this a fresh install of hardy?

I am pretty sure that you never want to run firefox as super user.

how do you know it is firefox-2?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mystery Firefox-3.0 Problem in Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by lavinog View Post
    Was this a fresh install of hardy?

I am pretty sure that you never want to run firefox as super user.

how do you know it is firefox-2?
    Thanks for the quick response--It was an upgrade from Dapper. Hmm, bad news about sudo--

Help/About/Mozilla/Firefox/Firefox 3.0

Thanks again for your time.

mike