Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .Sit, linux, .Sit!

Beans

Re: .Sit, linux, .Sit!

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to pay the 30 bucks for the full Linux version. I will probably be compressing and decompressing Stuff It archives a lot, so it'll be worth it.

This is rather old, but I guess it will still be useful with .sit archives (not with the newer .sitx)

http://ftp.linux.cz/pub/tex/CTAN/archive-tools/unstuff/

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You do have a couple of other options. ...

One is to use the macutil package (it's in the standard repositories, typing "sudo apt-get install macutil" without the quotes should install it), which claims to be able to deal with StuffIt files.

The other is to set up a Mac emulator, then install Mac software in the emulated Mac environment and use it to decompress the StuffIt files and transfer them to your Linux box. BasiliskII works pretty well and is available in the Ubuntu repositories, but only emulates a 68k-based Mac (meaning you can only install system software through OS version 8.1, and can't run PowerPC programs). This is probably too much of a hassle unless it's your only option, though ... you need to get a Mac ROM image file and install MacOS on a virtual hard drive. There are tutorials that can walk you through the process at http://basilisk.cebix.net/.

If you have to run PowerPC code, you can try SheepShaver, which has apparently become open-source recently. However, it's not available in the standard repositories (translation: you have to hunt down a prepackaged .deb file, or compile it yourself, adding an additional layer of hassle to initial setup), and my personal experience is that it's not particularly stable. You still need to install MacOS on a virtual hard drive and get a Mac ROM image.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to run StuffIt Expander and a few other programs, either will give you a (mostly) working Mac installation, which is kind of fun.
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bconover View Post
    "To decompress an .sit archive, type unstuff archive.sit"

$ unstuff archive.sit (archive is replaced for the name of my file)

bash: unstuff: command not found
    I get the same message: command not found. I have the executable named 'unstuff' in my /usr/bin which I downloaded from here, but I can't figure out how to "activate" it. Seemingly related is that when I ls the folder in the terminal, all the other executables are in green letters, but 'unstuff' is black (even after restart).

Edit: solved. Installing the executable of same name from the link above in this thread worked.
    Last edited by Cloud_704; September 10th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

none of the links work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try this in wine: http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

should work, I think.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12