Thread: Vmware can't see computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vmware can't see computer

I have installed VMWare server and got it up and running after a few initial hickups. For some reason I can see and access the drives an my network (WinXp machines) but only the VMWare drive and nothing else on the host machine. My /windows partition is set up as shared and can be seen by the network XP machine.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Vmware can't see computer

Anyone??? Please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Your description of the problem is vague.

What does vmware have to do with sharing from the host machine ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Vmware can't see computer

I installed Vmware mainly to run Quickbooks Premier and Photoshop CS2. The first because I have not found anything even remotely comparable as a native Linux program and the second because I have spent a lot of time and effort to set it up just the way I like/need Photoshop to function.
    My machine is set up as a dual boot with winXp and Ubuntu. The datafiles for Quickbooks unfortunately have for the time being to reside on the winXp system which is /windows in Ubuntu.
    At this point VMware-Winxp can see and access NTFS drives on my main network computer, but not the /windows(NTFS) folder/directory on my system. And the datafile resides on the /windows partition so that other WinXp network computers can access it.
    I am sure that it is some little setting that I have not found (I hope)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Ah ...

You need to either set up vmware to use shared directories on the host hard driver (this involves installing vmware toools onto the guest) or install samba server on the hosts and share the /windows directory.

See this thread (or similar) :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=437903

and :

http://2tap.com/2007/04/22/sharing-f...are-and-samba/

ComprehensiveSambaGuide

community/SettingUpSamba
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Stolea View Post
    I have installed VMWare server and got it up and running after a few initial hickups. For some reason I can see and access the drives an my network (WinXp machines) but only the VMWare drive and nothing else on the host machine. My /windows partition is set up as shared and can be seen by the network XP machine.
    Any ideas?
    After vmware is installed and loaded, you have to use your Windows install disk to plave it within vmware as a VM. Then you need to load your applications into this Windows install.

Have you followed the Sticky How-To at the top of this forum?
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.