Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

Beans

Re: Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

I didn't know that!

Outrageous !

Beans

I have a mac, and I have two pc's that run Ubuntu. I wouldn't consider adding Linux to my Mac. There's nothing to figure out on the Mac. It all just works. This has not been my experience with Ubuntu.

On the other hand, Ubuntu will run on a very simple machine.

For me, my Mac is worth the money because of the software that's included. If it wasn't for that software, there's no way the computer would be worth the money. It's a much better deal to run Ubuntu on a cheaper PC. Heck, my desktop linux box is an old pentium III that I got for free. I found an $40 LCD on Craigslist, a $6 keyboard at Micro Center, and a little bit of TLC. That's cheaper than running Ubuntu through VM software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tcar View Post
    There's nothing to figure out on the Mac. It all just works.
    That's why I'm interested in this solution for a family computer. I'm the only one savvy enough at home to know the bowels of Vista and Ubuntu. I know what to do to make them work correctly. But it's VERY VERY time consuming. I am past that now, although I'm very happy with my current config (see below). Unfortunately, that's not good enough for my children and wife; they deserve a system that works fast by today's standards and does what is asked of it without severe head scratching, heavy googling (Ubuntu), or constant virus and antispyware checking (Windows).

I don't have to be a mechanic to drive my car, all I need to do is check the gauges and respect the law. Now I've come to expect the same from computers. If this means I have to pay more for tranquility and ease of use, then be it.
    Last edited by the8thstar; July 13th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Another issue to keep in mind with a Mac is that if you intend to keep it up to date you'll pay ~$150 every 18 months or so for the latest OSX version - Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc. And the hardware components are no better than anyone else's. On my latest iMac the hard drive, DVD drive and video card have all failed.

Beans

I know what you mean... On my current laptop (HP Pavilion dv2109nr), 2 out the 3 USB ports are dead already. No idea why they are not working anymore (in Ubuntu and Vista BTW), but this frigging PC is only 1.5 years old! And oh yeah, the battery is dead too. I just placed an order to get a new one.

There is no perfect system, no perfect hardware. I hope I'll be lucky enough with whatever I choose and that if anything breaks, it will be within the warranty time. I just want something which will work just fine for everyone in the family.
    Last edited by the8thstar; July 13th, 2008 at 07:11 PM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieP View Post
    Another issue to keep in mind with a Mac is that if you intend to keep it up to date you'll pay ~$150 every 18 months or so for the latest OSX version - Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc. And the hardware components are no better than anyone else's. On my latest iMac the hard drive, DVD drive and video card have all failed.
    If I may ask, do you know why you had so many hardware failures?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    I know what you mean... On my current laptop (HP Pavilion dv2109nr), 2 out the 3 USB ports are dead already. No idea why they are not working anymore (in Ubuntu and Vista BTW), but this frigging PC is only 1.5 years old! And oh yeah, the battery is dead too. I just placed an order to get a new one.

There is no perfect system, no perfect hardware. I hope I'll be lucky enough with whatever I choose and that if anything breaks, it will be within the warranty time. I just want something which will work just fine for everyone in the family.
    i would start checking usb devices, memory sticks, or what not........... dead usb ports isnt that common....(unless you plug a faulty device).

anyway, any technician capable of disassembling the notebook will id the power fuses and replace them ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    If I may ask, do you know why you had so many hardware failures?
    No particular reason I'm aware of. Just the luck of the draw, I guess. I put much higher stress on my Toshiba laptop and it's held up much better . . . except its power supply died on me several months ago. Oh well.

Beans

I've had my Macbook for close to 2 years now. I've slowly moved over to the "Macs = over rated" camp. Out of Ubuntu, Vista, and OSX, OSX is the least responsive and least stable. This isn't just on my machine. I see this on all the mac machines used in Music and post-production studios. That being said I still prefer OSX for its CoreAudio system and any Adobe product. Unless you are going to use a creative software suite(Pro Tools, Adobe, Final Cut) I would not recommend a Mac.

Snow Leopard might help to change my opinion. I think Apple made a great decision to trim the fat.

I own a Mac for Pro-Tools, Logic, and Dreamweaver/Photoshop - I do feel all of these programs run better on a Mac

I installed Linux because I like to play - OSX is really clunky when it comes to "playing" with it.

Beans

Snow Leopard might help to change my opinion. I think Apple made a great decision to trim the fat
    That's what I think we should do in Ubuntu. (release 9.04 maybe?)
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.
    Yup, that's pretty much how this place works

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast