Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Have to run dhclient each time to run internet

Beans

[SOLVED] Have to run dhclient each time to run internet

In an earlier thread, I was able to get my internet working using:

$ sudo dhclient eth0

However, I have to use that command every once in a while or whenever I logout or suspend, etc. I was wondering if there is a way to make the internet work each time I start up ubuntu or log in, instead of having to run the command each time. It isn't much of a problem, but I would like to not have to do it every time.
    Last edited by morty35; July 18th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Have to run dhclient each time to run internet

Quote Originally Posted by morty35 View Post

$ sudo dhclient eth0

However, I have to use that command every once in a while or whenever I logout or suspend, etc. I was wondering if there is a way to make the internet work each time I start up ubuntu or log in, instead of having to run the command each time. It isn't much of a problem, but I would like to not have to do it every time.
    I am having exactly the same problem. Most times I have to do this each time I boot and then suddenly it will work without the dhclient for awhile then start requiring it again.

I look in the logs and see exactly the same messages at startup that I see when I run dhclient so that does not even give me any leads. I have even tried everything that seems close in these forums without luck.

Ironically wireless works flawlessly when I am at home on my wireless router or detect another connection. It is only when I am on Ethernet that I have to do this.
    Nils

My System: 9.04 - Dell Latitude D620, Video: Intel 945GM, Audio: Intel 82801G, Wireless: Intel 3945ABG, Ethernet: Broadcom CM5752, Bluetooth: Toshiba Internal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post the /etc/network/interfaces - or at least check to see if there is an auto eth0 line.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Post the /etc/network/interfaces - or at least check to see if there is an auto eth0 line.
    I tried that and it did not help. All I now have in the interfaces file is

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Which always worked before 8.04
    Nils

My System: 9.04 - Dell Latitude D620, Video: Intel 945GM, Audio: Intel 82801G, Wireless: Intel 3945ABG, Ethernet: Broadcom CM5752, Bluetooth: Toshiba Internal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The auto line should "make the internet work each time I start up ubuntu or log in, instead of having to run the command each time." Did you restart networking after adding the line?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    The auto line should "make the internet work each time I start up ubuntu or log in, instead of having to run the command each time." Did you restart networking after adding the line?
    Yes, I did. I also rebooted. I took the extra auto out and rebooted again and it worked. That is what makes it difficult to debug since sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
    Nils

Beans

here is the content of my interface file:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

how do I use an auto eth0?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morty35 View Post

$ sudo dhclient eth0

I had this same problem after going to 8.04 from 7.10. I have a Dell desktop with an intel nic (no wireless). I ended up resolving it via the gui. I clicked on 'Manual configuration' via the network icon in the upper right of the desktop. Unlocked the window, selected properties for 'Wired connection', disabled roaming mode, and finally set it to dhcp.

Beans

That did the trick. It works when I start it up. Thanks.

SOLVED

Beans

Cool, glad I could help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast