Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Hardy Heron on USB stick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu Hardy Heron on USB stick

Not sure this is the right thread, but if I'm wrong i guess a mod can move it to the right place!? Here goes:

Is it possible to install Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 on a USB stick from Windows or an existing Ubuntu installation and run it from OSX, Windows or Linux? Going on holiday soon and it would be sweet to bring Hardy on my 8 GB OCZ Rally2
    Last edited by peakshysteria; July 12th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Hardy Heron on USB stick

http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-instal...nux-on-usb-bar (or printer-freindly version: http://www.debuntu.org/book/export/html/160 )

that any good for ya?

as for finding the disk, personally I find it easier to mount it and check from the mount command, avoids mistakes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks man. I've found several guides for how I can make a persistent install of Ubuntu to my USB stick. Pendrivelinux seems like the best and most rich solution so far. But the main question is how I can make it boot both on OSX, Windows and (any) linux. All my home machines are running Ubuntu. All my work stations are running Windows. Some of my friends are running OSX. So since I'm from time to time are using all OS's it would be sweet to always bring along my own setup.
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You might want to look at this site http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/

It has an installer on the live cd for usb thumb drives.
    The How-To-Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/ubuntu/ubuntu-tips/

The final and most influential thing anyone will ever teach you is to be independent of the influence of others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks man. Dreamlinux seems very nice. But I can't find any information about if it is cross platform capable. Will this run from my USB on both OSX, Windows and Linux?

Beans
    Distro

Hardware Requirements XFCE: Pentium III 128 MB RAM HDD 4GB free. GNOMEentium III 256 MB RAM HDD 4GB free.

Alternative install: USB Memory Stick with 1 GB. See documentation or Dreamlinux Forums First Stop for details.

The final and most influential thing anyone will ever teach you is to be independent of the influence of others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thats the requirements for the installation. It really looks like Dreamlinux only can be runned on exsisting linux installs:
    Dreamlinux USB Flash Memory

By using our new "Dream_On_A_Pen" philosophy you can boot your Dreamlinux on any computer that is able to boot from a pen-drive (USB Flash Memory).

Dreamlinux Customized + USB Flash Memory

Besides, once running from a pen-drive, you will be able to keep your data safe inside it. All you need to do is create folders to store your data, music, videos, you name it. They not only will be accessible inside your Dreamlinux pen-drive Operating System, they can be read in any other computer running any Linux distro.

Beans
    Distro

It doesn't say in the doc's but I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work with OSX. If you have a second thumb drive you could try it. Dreamlinux is almost pure Debian linux and Ubuntu is based on Debian so both should work with OSX. OSX is based on FreeBSD which is based on UNIX just like Linux. And PC-BSD is the desktop/laptop version of FreeBSD. I like PC-BSD but it has a ways to go to be as easy to use as Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Spaceman9; July 12th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Do you mean you want to be able to boot Ubuntu from a USB stick like you would with a live CD, or do you actually want to run it within another OS?
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I would like to be able to boot Ubuntu Hardy from the USB stick no matter which OS/machine is available. Meaning I can always access my browser, bookmarks, files, settings etc....And of course I would like to use my own themes and wallpapers and my favorite apps and save files like I do on my main machine/Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast