Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: external NTFS drive won't mount to windows after ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

external NTFS drive won't mount to windows after ubuntu

I'm dual booting hardy heron and vista. i've used my seagate NTFS external hard drive for several months on Vista. after using it for about a week on ubuntu it will no longer work with vista, vista wants to "format" it. i unmount whenever i shut it off and it still works fine with ubuntu. now how do i get it to work with vista without reformatting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: external NTFS drive won't mount to windows after ubuntu

Try and run ntfsfix on the drive by installing ntfsprogs with:-
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs
    and then:-
    Code:
    sudo ntfsfix /location/of/drive
    then see if the drive now works properly.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Your description is very hard to follow.
    An NTFS drive doesn't 'MOUNT TO WINDOWS'.

You used your seagate NTFS external hard drive on vista, or
    you used vista on your seagate NTFS external hard drive?

it still works fine with ubuntu, but how do you get it to work with vista without reformatting??? Is that without vista reformatting the instance of ubuntu, or the other way around??

Clear concise meaningful text would help alot.

I have some ideas, but they may have nothing to do with what you're trying to ask about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by zero777zero View Post
    I'm dual booting hardy heron and vista. i've used my seagate NTFS external hard drive for several months on Vista. after using it for about a week on ubuntu it will no longer work with vista, vista wants to "format" it. i unmount whenever i shut it off and it still works fine with ubuntu. now how do i get it to work with vista without reformatting?
    Apart from the great tip of running the ntfsfix program from ubuntu;
    ~ What happens if you try running a check disk on it in vista?
    ~ If you go in to Control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk manager. Is it listed in there as a recognized partition etc?
    Last edited by Daelyn; July 12th, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: brainfreeze
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by matt$2 View Post
    Your description is very hard to follow.
    An NTFS drive doesn't 'MOUNT TO WINDOWS'.

You used your seagate NTFS external hard drive on vista, or
    you used vista on your seagate NTFS external hard drive?

it still works fine with ubuntu, but how do you get it to work with vista without reformatting??? Is that without vista reformatting the instance of ubuntu, or the other way around??

Clear concise meaningful text would help alot.

I have some ideas, but they may have nothing to do with what you're trying to ask about.
    I saw no problem understanding what he wrote. And, I can't see him using Vista on a external HDD very easily. I'm sure this ain't the case
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0

Beans

I saw no problem understanding what he wrote. And, I can't see him using Vista on a external HDD very easily. I'm sure this ain't the case

Good you can speak cryptic. I can't

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is meant to be a support thread, so let's try and keep it that way without commenting about the style in which people post.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thanks for the responses, no my external drive DOES NOT have an OS on it nor is it partitioned in anyway.

PmDematagoda, if i run that code will it have any risk of losing data on my hard drives?

and just in case i wasnt clear, the NTFS drive reads/writes fine in ubuntu, but once i unmounth and go back to Vista, it will not work with vista.

Beans

ok Now I get it. The ntfs partition on the external hard drive can't be mounted by Windows after having been mounted and unmounted by ubuntu.

Now I'm at a disadvantage by not having used these ntf3g tools at all yet. I doubt hugely if you'll damage or lose data, but I haven't tried it.

How about saving the content of the partition not only to be safe but to then format your ntfs partition to fat32. Then return it to the newly formatted fat32 partition. Then definitely no problems.

I suspect your going to tell me it's a 500 Gig hard drive or partition size and it's too big to do. it is a way around it though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zero777zero View Post
    PmDematagoda, if i run that code will it have any risk of losing data on my hard drives?
    There shouldn't be any risk of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast