View Poll Results: The other PC desktop OS!

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple Snow Leopard OS X

22 36.07%
  • Linux (Which One, please specify)

34 55.74%
  • Solaris

5 8.20%
  • BSD (Which One, please specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The other desktop OS!

Beans

Post The other desktop OS!

We are all Linux fans but just for a few moments let us all become neutral and think neutral. Now as we all know despite Windows Vista's flaws, Windows is still a dominant desktop operating system running over 90% of desktops worldwide. Now I just wish your view about which other desktop operating system has the potential to become another widely used desktop operating system in the world? My view is if Apple releases its upcoming OS X Snow Leopard OS for PCs also it has the potential and there are quite a few strong hints or call them rumors that Apple may release its new OS for PCs worldwide. What do you think? Do you agree with this or think something else? Do you think some other OS would become the other most widely used desktop os in the world beside Windows? If so which one? Post your views and take part in the poll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: The other desktop OS!

I'm all for Apple releasing OSX (or whatever) to be used on PCs. I brought this up one time and people were saying that it would be too hard for Apple to support all the hardware configurations of the PC world. I just don't buy that. If apple wanted to they could contract another company (dell, HP...) to build only to their specification.

I think the problem Apple has with doing this is that all their fans will realize that they have been paying several hundreds of dollars for an operating system due to hardware markup. Last time I checked an intel dual core 2gb 500gb yada yada yada machine doesn't cost $2000 to build even when you slap a stand and a 20" monitor on it.

JMO. One side of my family are PC and the other side are Mac. It makes for funny get togethers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ubuntu is the biggest challenger to Windows IMO.
    Apple in PC? No thank you very much.

Beans

OpenSolaris is going places. Where, I'm not sure, but it is definitely a player.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    OpenSolaris is going places. Where, I'm not sure, but it is definitely a player.
    Yes, it is quite nice for a new OS. I tried it as a live disk and was able to use it effectively for my normal activities (Flash worked fine and so did the hardware and effects)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Yes, it is quite nice for a new OS. I tried it as a live disk and was able to use it effectively for my normal activities (Flash worked fine and so did the hardware and effects)
    It's a bit slow for me, but it's still a lot of fun to mess around with. Sun may have finally done something right.

Beans

I really think any of these could succeed with the right business model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Woormy View Post
    I really think any of these could succeed with the right business model.
    Do you have a business model in mind? or would that be off-topic
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunashekar View Post
    Do you have a business model in mind? or would that be off-topic
    I think it just meant they all had the technical ability to be widely used.

Beans

Well I think that which ever is more stable and wizard friendly will be the next one to windows. One reason that windows is so wide spread is it provides a standard for businesses. Plus there are lots of wizards so people do not have to do the work. While I like linux, I am constantly checking to see how stuff works on windows and other OS, to make sure that if I offer stuff to other people they can use it. In the business world windows does that for you. If it works on XP than it works on any XP computer. What microsoft has going for them is 90% percent of the computers have windows. A business that wants to make it is not going to just dump the windows standard and go to linux. Even if windows cost $$$. The only way there is going to be a big "over throw" is if microsoft has a big mess up. Of course that is just my opinion.
    cheers,
    Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast