Thread: Considerations for Windows reinstall

Beans

Question Considerations for Windows reinstall

While my Ubuntu 8.04 installed using Wubi is running fine (installed on my "D" drive) the Windows XP I am using is corrupted and I want to reinstall it. I would prefer to save the necessary Wubi files, format and reinstall Windows XP on the "C" drive and copy the Wubi files back.

Can anyone confirm definitely:
    1. this should work, except that it will no longer be possible to uninstall Ubuntu through Windows 'Add and Remove Programs';
    2. the files to be copied and restored are: boot.ini, wubildr and wubildr.mbr;
    3. there is nothing else important that I must do that I am unaware of.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Re: Considerations for Windows reinstall

Well, this reply may not help you , but it might help you to know that the uninstall will in any case not work. I have installed 8.0.4.1 and tried uninstalling.

The uninstaller is not working, it seems to be a stub that is still being worked on.

I am not sure if anybody had been successful in uninstalling...

Beans

Re: Considerations for Windows reinstall

backup the ubuntu directory, run wubi.exe again, then replace the ubuntu dir with the one you backed up. You might need to change the UUID of the root disk in c:\ubuntu\disks\boot\grub\menu.lst as that may change. And you will also be able to uninstall.