Thread: Ubuntu Installation Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu Installation Issue

Hello ladies and gents, let me give you the rundown. For starters I am the ultimate Ubuntu Noob. I've been using the Hardy Heron LiveCD and fell in love with Ubuntu. I thought it was great and I got extremely tired of Windows XP and its constant security updates and wanted something new. Also my Sony Vaio notebook is a little old and its starting to show its age. So two nights ago I decided to dual boot XP with Ubuntu as I still have a need for annoying XP. I defragmented the hard drive and then proceeded to go with the install.

Everything was going great with the installation when I got to bout 33% and I got an error saying that the installer had an error copying files to the hard disk but I didn't write down exactly what file had an issue. I was then told by the installer that this particular error could be due to a faulty heard disk and that it may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of a replacement of to move the system to a cooler environment.

Heeding the advice I decided to just get a completely fresh install of XP which ran great and everything was running fine. I then using my amazing air conditioner got my room to a shrinkage inducing 49 degrees fahrenheit. I then proceeded with the install which again was going great. The installation got up to 78% when I got ANOTHER error! This one similar to the last got me to write it down. The installer then told me this:

"The Installer encountered an Error Copying files to the Hard Disk:

[Errnos] Input/output error: '/target/var/lib/thunderbird/extensions.d'

This particular error is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement or to move the system to a cooler environment"

what the hell is that!? Anywho I am currently running a Sony VAIO VGN-FS690P with an Intel Pentium M 1.73 (Ghz) processor with 1GB of RAM and Windows XP Professional.

Alright now its up to you guys. Any help or comments would be extremely appreciated. Thanks a lot and have a great day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu Installation Issue

Given that your hardware is a bit mature, I'd recommend use of the alternate install iso burned to cd-r as an image at a speed of 4x (after checking the md5sum of the iso). The alternate cd iso often works with older hardware where the Live CD does not.