Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you encrypt your data?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Do you encrypt your data?

I just bought an external disk (MyBook) and decided to encrypt it using TrueCrypt. When I was taking the preparations i really wonder if I was the only one and what people drives them to do something like that. Encrypting your data isn't an 1 minute decision if you look @ the work. You need to learn a password over 20 characters and insert them every time you boot up your computer (if you use it allot).

I personally have a few resons but the most important one is the one I just learned a few weeks ago. A friend of my had the unlucky that a few buglers visited him while he was asleep, steeling his laptop, external disk, digital camera, ... Getting your stuff stolen is bad, knowing that people you don't know are looking at it is worse. So the day that I would be in bad luck and people stole my stuff, I don't want them to be able to look at my personal files.

So, whats you motivation, if you have one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Do you encrypt your data?

I have nothing that I care if anyone saw, so no. when I plan my assassinations, I keep it separate, uh, did I just say that?
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't have a big external hard drive (just a 2 GB USB stick and a few SD memory cards) and I don't store anything really personal on them or on my laptops. My SSH and GPG private keys are protected with strong passphrases so that's not an issue either. In short, no, I never encrypt whole drives, that would be an unnecessary hassle for me. I do, however, always have KGPG at hand in case I need to encrypt single files, but that's all.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; July 11th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I encrypt my data using Truecrypt (and the native encryption in ubuntu for the operating system disk), because I'm paranoid and I can. I don't want people in my stuff, looking at my stuff, stealing my stuff or anything else -- and I don't really think it's that much of a hassle. Takes a day to encrypt large drives (I have a 750GB that went in like 8 hours, I just started it before I went to bed) and then you type a password in once a day or less. I mostly want it encrypted if it's rebooted, like stolen or rebooted because it's locked.

Funny story though: At work I encrypted both my linux and windows boxes about three days later some tech guys came by to redo the domain config and couldn't boot my PCs. (They actually didn't recognize that one was running linux) So when I get in, I track them down, boot my Windows box and tell them to go ahead.

The guy goes "So, you have a boot-up password?"
    Me: "No."
    Guy: "But I couldn't get in your box."
    Me: "Boot passwords are against policy, my hard disk is encrypted."
    Guy: "Who did that for you."
    Me: "I did"
    Guy: "Well... what do you have in here that needs to be encrypted"
    Me: "If I wanted you to know, I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of encrypting it."
    Guy stomps off angrily after finishing the config setup.

LOL

Thought I would share,

Xan
    Last edited by MasterXandrex; July 11th, 2008 at 03:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

that story made my smile.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuUser3859 View Post
    I encrypt my data using Truecrypt (and the native encryption in ubuntu for the operating system disk), because I'm paranoid and I can. I don't want people in my stuff, looking at my stuff, stealing my stuff or anything else -- and I don't really think it's that much of a hassle. Takes a day to encrypt large drives (I have a 750GB that went in like 8 hours, I just started it before I went to bed) and then you type a password in once a day or less. I mostly want it encrypted if it's rebooted, like stolen or rebooted because it's locked.

Funny story though: At work I encrypted both my linux and windows boxes about three days later some tech guys came by to redo the domain config and couldn't boot my PCs. (They actually didn't recognize that one was running linux) So when I get in, I track them down, boot my Windows box and tell them to go ahead.

The guy goes "So, you have a boot-up password?"
    Me: "No."
    Guy: "But I couldn't get in your box."
    Me: "Boot passwords are against policy, my hard disk is encrypted."
    Guy: "Who did that for you."
    Me: "I did"
    Guy: "Well... what do you have in here that needs to be encrypted"
    Me: "If I wanted you to know, I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of encrypting it."
    Guy stomps off angrily after finishing the config setup.

LOL

Thought I would share,

Xan
    Haha. That is funny.
    Well, I don't encrypt whole drives, but I do just use GPG for encrypting specific files. But if I were to encrypt a partition, I would just use TrueCrypt and use a spare partition for all of my highly sensitive stuff.

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuUser3859 View Post
    I don't want people in my stuff, looking at my stuff, stealing my stuff or anything else
    For this, login passwords are strong enough for me. There's just my mother and sister here besides myself, and I don't think they'd know how to mount my RAID from a Live CD I guess it all depends on the environment the machine runs in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't use encryption on my computer, because only me use my computer, so I don't care about it.
    But when I need save or backup my personal data to other computer, I always compress to 7-zip file with long password.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    For this, login passwords are strong enough for me. There's just my mother and sister here besides myself, and I don't think they'd know how to mount my RAID from a Live CD I guess it all depends on the environment the machine runs in.
    Same situation for me but i don't have a RAID drive, my mother and sister just don't know how to do anything like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

One thing I've wondered is if I Encrypt the 2nd hard drive on my server (the one with the files I want) and the OS hard drive fails how screwed am I at getting another hard drive, install some OS on it (the same? a different linux?) and be able to get access to my files on the 2nd hard drive?

For Laptops, since they are more desired and out in public compared to desktops/servers, I would think Encrypting the data would be helpful (esp if you have a backup).

My son is a self-training hacker so I HAVE to take security action. At age 4 he tried logging into my account ("daddy"). Age 5 he asked me while I was doing something on the computer "what's your username?". Now he's 6 and I'm getting worried!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast