Thread: [SOLVED] ahci adding 30-seconds to startup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[SOLVED] ahci adding 30-seconds to startup?

hopefully someone has a solution for this little issue of mine...
    boot-up hangs for about 30-seconds at the following text during startup:
    Code:
    Jul 11 09:18:07 thinkpad kernel: [   14.174626] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: nr_ports (4) and implemented port map (0x1) don't match, using nr_ports
    Jul 11 09:18:07 thinkpad kernel: [   14.174708] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: forcing PORTS_IMPL to 0xf
    i've searched google and other threads, but nothing seems to work short of adding "acpi=off" to my grub kernel line and that is NOT an option since i'm on a laptop.

thanks, in-advance.
    =====
    EDIT 1:
    okay, to add a little more info... i found through self-discovery ahci issues are occasionally related to bios issues, so i went into bios and changed my sata choice from "ahci" to "compatibility." now, the wait doesn't occur as above; rather, it waits here:
    Code:
    Jul 13 14:39:41 thinkpad kernel: [   24.320919] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
    Jul 13 14:39:41 thinkpad kernel: [   24.640481] ata2.00: ATAPI: HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4244N, 1.02, max UDMA/33
    hopefully, this extra info will allow SOMEBODY to give me a suggestion or two...

=====
    EDIT 2:
    so, i've updated the bios to the latest version, changed the sata choice back to "ahci" and now the lag is only ~10-seconds; still irritating, but not nearly as bad as before. the hang still occurs at the "ata2.00: ATAPI: HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4244N, 1.02, max UDMA/33" line. still awaiting any ideas!
    =====
    EDIT 3:
    okay, you can almost disregard the above... sometimes boot still hangs at the ahci nr_ports thing, still for 30-seconds, and other times it hangs as the ATAPI DVD thing, for about 10-seconds. what gives!? please, someone...ANYONE... suggestions?
    =====
    EDIT 4:
    okay, this should be my final edit, as i SEEM to have solved the issue. for anyone else having this issue, the following steps MIGHT work for you too...

1. edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and write-in a specific order of modules to load at boot:
      Code:
      sudo nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
      and add
      Code:
      ahci
      ata_piix
    2. update initramfs:
      Code:
      sudo update-initramfs -k all -u
    3. reboot and see...
    Last edited by moore.bryan; July 14th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] ahci adding 30-seconds to startup?

Thanks, that did the trick for me too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [SOLVED] ahci adding 30-seconds to startup?

excellent... glad to hear it wasn't unique to me!
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server