9 69.23%
  • Urdu

0 0%
  • Hindustania

1 7.69%
  • Shuddh Hindi

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning a New Language: Need to be advised (Hindi)

Beans

Learning a New Language: Need to be advised (Hindi)

Settled on Hindi for now! See http://laroza.pbwiki.com/Hindi

EDIT: I editted the poll (sort of a joke).
    Last edited by LaRoza; October 9th, 2008 at 02:09 AM.

Beans

Re: Learning a New Language: Need advise

I work with hindoos. They mostly speak gujarati. I'm off to work now so will ask them, and let you know what they say when I get back (in about 8 hours).
    Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would go with Hindi, as it has more speakers and would be more likely to be understood be your average Indian.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

You should learn a language depending on your location, and population of your environment.

If I wanted to learn a new language, I'd pick Thai, and Arabic.

Being a middle-easter, I'm surrounded by Arabic speaking countries, and many Arabic people in my area.

Israel also has many people from Thailand in it, whom I've worked with, many many times before.
    Not knowing Thai, it flaws our communication a bit. While we were still able to understand each mostly, speaking English-Hebrew-little Thai mixture, I couldn't get into any real one-on-one conversations with them.

Beans

Without knowing why you want to learn a new language it is hard to give advice, but one thing I would say is to learn a language that you will be able to use regularly or you will forget everything that you have learned very quickly.

I was raised to be bi-lingual (English / Irish) and now that I have not used my Irish for so long I have forgotten most of it evn though it was a language that I learnt as a small child.

Over the years I have learnt a few more languages along the way and have forgotten most of them as soon as I stopped using them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clanky View Post
    Without knowing why you want to learn a new language it is hard to give advice, but one thing I would say is to learn a language that you will be able to use regularly or you will forget everything that you have learned very quickly.
    Two reasons. I like to learn, and it may be useful. I would want to learn Gaeilge also (I am mostly Irish), but that isn't very useful here.

Beans

To be absolutely honest it's not even that useful in Ireland! I try to use it as much as possible when i go home, but all the people who I speak to can speak English just as well and I could communicate as easily in English.

Are you planning to visit India in the future? If that is the case then it would be worth learning basic Hindi, which would let you be able to communicate a little anywhere in india and would also be a good basis for learning the language while you were there.

Learning a language for the sake of learning is a very difficult thing to do unless you are taking part in a class where you are going to be speaking the language regularly, and even then you have to keep using the language afterwards or it will just disappear, how good is your Spanish? It might be better to work at become completely fluent in Spanish rather than learning an extra language.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clanky View Post
    To be absolutely honest it's not even that useful in Ireland! I try to use it as much as possible when i go home, but all the people who I speak to can speak English just as well and I could communicate as easily in English.
    Still, knowing the war cry of your family and nothing else is sort of pathetic (and even less useful...)

Are you planning to visit India in the future? If that is the case then it would be worth learning basic Hindi, which would let you be able to communicate a little anywhere in india and would also be a good basis for learning the language while you were there.
    I would like to actually (in the future), but the places I want to visit would be in Maharashtra but the people in the USA would most likely speak Hindi.

Learning a language for the sake of learning is a very difficult thing to do unless you are taking part in a class where you are going to be speaking the language regularly, and even then you have to keep using the language afterwards or it will just disappear, how good is your Spanish? It might be better to work at become completely fluent in Spanish rather than learning an extra language.
    I mainly want to be able to read it. Learning a new language is a good way to open your mind up, even if it isn't used after. My Spanish isn't that good. My vocabularly is pretty low, but I am slowly building on that.

Beans

Re: Learning a New Language: Need advise (Hindi/Marathi)

I found that Hindi is the standard language of the government (along with English...for some reason) and it would be the most beneficial language for me to learn for my goals of learning a useful language and my desire to go to India in the future.

If I get any sort of mastery over Hindi, learning Marathi wouldn't be that much of a problem (at least the basics) and it uses the same notation.

Advise is still welcome on the subject. Hopefully from Indians, I know you are here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Learning a New Language: Need advise (Hindi/Marathi)

Hindi and its similar relative Urudu are understood by many Indians and definitely many Marathi speaking people. Marathi is a regional language as other Indian languages such as Gujarati, Punjabi. Bengali, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil and many more. It would perhaps be better to learn Hindi and then Marathi.
    I speak Tamil and bits of many other languages though some are much different. I consider the sweetest sounding Indian Languages are Bengali followed by Telugu.
    Last edited by gunashekar; July 10th, 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast