Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Card reader not working

Beans

Re: Card reader not working

There is just the one slot, both SD and memory stick go in the same slot.

No offense taken, i actually tried it both ways in case i was doing it wrong, although i have had this laptop for 2 years, ran xp and vista, just switched to ubuntu, but yes i have used it before so i know the orientation lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My Ricoh built-in 5-1 card reader only works with SD cards. I cannot make it work with MS cards. Its b/c the kernel drivers I told you.

But everything works OOB (i've been told) with USB multi-card readers.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

Alrighty good to know thanks, i understood it was not written in the kernal i was just not sure if there was a code or something i could copy over to make it work. I am very new to ubuntu so i was unsure. Thank you for your answer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

no prob, glad it helped.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Same problem here.

I found instructions on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636867, but still only SD cards work. I found the same behavior on every Ricoh card reader thread I got from the first two pages of Google. It seems this is a chronic problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

OK, well for some reason it seems that internal readers don't recognise Sony MS and external ones do. I've now tried two external readers and both work with MS.

That's a nuisance but I can recommend the Hama 35-in-1 reader that Amazon (UK) sell for £3.40. Sorry it's not an ideal fix but at least it will work.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Could there be a way to use the Windows driver, like with ndiswrapper?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12