Thread: nothing works in wine

Beans

nothing works in wine

After upgrading to hardy heron anytime I try to run a full-screen game in wine i get an fps of about 1 or 2, this happens when I run the game in a virtual desktop also. the games worked fine before I installed HH. the games i have tried so far are garry's mod 10, GTA san andreas, and GTA 3. GTA:SA is just a black and white screen slowly fading between each other. Any suggestions.
    with no handlebars!
    Ubuntu user #22818

Beans

Re: nothing works in wine

Make sure your graphics drivers are correctly installed.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

So how do I go about checking this, I am really a n00b and don't know much about ubuntu yet. sorry if I sound like an idiot.
    with no handlebars!
    Ubuntu user #22818

Beans

What kind of graphics card do you have specifically?

Most likely, if you have a ATI or NVIDIA, then the driver for it should show up in the restricted drivers panel (System > Administration > Hardware Drivers).

Beans

Thanks! it was in the restricted drivers panel, I appreciate you help. not only did this fix the problem but it gave my computer some snazzy eye candy also. now my little window switcher acts as multiple moniters so i can drag windows between my desktops.
    with no handlebars!
    Ubuntu user #22818

Beans

Your welcome! Glad I can help.

Beans

Hello, I have the same problem. I want to run heroes of might and magic V but all that appears is a black window (full schreen and after a few seconds I can see my desktop as before. But my graphic driver is activated. My graphic driver is "ati accelerated graphics driver".

I think the problem is, that the game is not installed but in an folder on my desktop. Where do I have to move the single folders?
    Here is a screenshot of the folder.

/home/robert/Desktop/Screenshot.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rohbart; July 10th, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
    I apologize for every linguistical mistakes I do (just feel free to tell me of them) because I do not live in an English speaking country.

Bye