Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Automatic Wireless Connection (At Startup)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question [SOLVED] Automatic Wireless Connection (At Startup)?

Everytime I boot my computer I have to enter:
    Code:
    iwconfig eth1 essid "mySSID" key mywepkey
    sudo dhclient eth1
    Where mySSID = My wireless router's SSID
    and mywepkey = My router's wep key

But now I am trying to figure out how to put this in a startup script so it runs every time I boot (because as of right now I have to manually add the above each time I restart to connect to my router )
    Can someone let me know what I need to do to get this to connect each time I reboot?
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Automatic Wireless Connection (At Startup)?

I think you can do it through a nice GUI under System>Admin>Network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I think you can do it through a nice GUI under System>Admin>Network.
    I probably should've mentioned this in my initial post, but I am using a limited version (cli) of Gusty Unbuntu that I installed on my OLPC, and I am using Xfce as my GUI, and there doesn't seem to be a Wireless Networking tool in the GUI, so I need to modify a startup script, but I don't know which one to modify (i.e. /etc/networking/interfaces , /etc/init.d/, ???)

EDIT:I should've picked "other" when picking a prefix for this thread :doh:
    Last edited by BassKozz; July 9th, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans

You want to change /etc/network/interfaces. That file defines the network interfaces and which ones should be automatically brought up.

you need to add something like:
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-key s:myKey
    wireless-essid myNetwork

auto wlan0
    I believe the s: indicates that you are using an asci wep key, without it you need to enter a hexadecimal one. This assumes you use dhcp for your ip addresses.

Hope that helps

P.S. dont't mess with the lo interface lines, you need those

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BassKozz View Post
    I probably should've mentioned this in my initial post, but I am using a limited version (cli) of Gusty Unbuntu that I installed on my OLPC, and I am using Xfce as my GUI, and there doesn't seem to be a Wireless Networking tool in the GUI, so I need to modify a startup script, but I don't know which one to modify (i.e. /etc/networking/interfaces , /etc/init.d/, ???)

I see. Here is a sticky address from the Wireless section, that has all kinds of manual configurations. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

May I suggest Wicd. It's a network manager GUI utility that supports WEP, WPA and autoconnect. I'm using it as an alternative to Gnome's default network manager.

Ubuntu documentation on Wicd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    You want to change /etc/network/interfaces. That file defines the network interfaces and which ones should be automatically brought up.

you need to add something like:
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-key s:myKey
    wireless-essid myNetwork

auto wlan0
    I believe the s: indicates that you are using an asci wep key, without it you need to enter a hexadecimal one. This assumes you use dhcp for your ip addresses.

Hope that helps

P.S. dont't mess with the lo interface lines, you need those
    Code:
    # Wireless Connection
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-key hex-key
    wireless-essid ssid

auto eth1
    where hex-key = my WEP hex key & ssid = my routers wireless SSID
    WORKED
    Thanks issih

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Everytime I boot my computer I have to enter:
    Code:
    iwconfig eth1 essid "mySSID" key mywepkey
    sudo dhclient eth1
    Where mySSID = My wireless router's SSID
    and mywepkey = My router's wep key

But now I am trying to figure out how to put this in a startup script so it runs every time I boot (because as of right now I have to manually add the above each time I restart to connect to my router )
    Can someone let me know what I need to do to get this to connect each time I reboot?
    Network Manager under Hardy takes care of all that. What Ubuntu version are you using?

Whenever I login Ubuntu automatically connects to my WPA2 encrypted router.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Network Manager under Hardy takes care of all that. What Ubuntu version are you using?

Whenever I login Ubuntu automatically connects to my WPA2 encrypted router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I see. Here is a sticky address from the Wireless section, that has all kinds of manual configurations. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495
    Mike,
    That link you provided was very helpful, Thank you.
    I am curious thou, on the link it says to edit /etc/rc.local to make ubuntu setup wireless on boot;
    What are the pro's & con's of using /etc/rc.local vs. /etc/network/interfaces/ to connect on boot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast