Thread: Blender + Compiz = Teeth-grindingly SLOW!

Beans

Blender + Compiz = Teeth-grindingly SLOW!

If I have compiz running (which is all the time), Blender is too slow in full screen mode. That's an understatement actually. It's somewhere between 'slow' and 'frozen'.

With compiz off, it becomes usable.. though I still think it can be faster. It's faster on my XP box which has almost half the specs I'm running Linux on.

Turning compiz off is not a real solution. Maybe it's ADHD, but I like to use Blender while I'm doing other things (FF open, Gaim, Rhythmbox, a few nautilus instances. Though running it alone doesn't fix the problem either.

The -w option helps a little:
    blender -w -p 0 0 1270 945

but the difference isn't that significant..

No noticeable problems with any other apps. Stellerium runs fine in fullscreen.

Nvidia GeForce 6600GT, PCI-express 16x
    nVidia drivers installed manually from nvidia binary

$ glxinfo | grep dir
    direct rendering: Yes
    $ blender
    guessing 'blender-bin' == '/usr/bin/blender-bin'
    Compiled with Python version 2.5.2.
    Checking for installed Python... got it!
    Running latest version of Nvidia drivers, Hardy, Compiz and Blender

help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Blender + Compiz = Teeth-grindingly SLOW!

I have the same problem. I am guessing blender wants to use memory/resources the driver is unable to give it with compiz active. This thing applies to AMD drivers at least, which I read about on phoronix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Blender + Compiz = Teeth-grindingly SLOW!

Are there any updates to this thread?? I have also noticed that Blender is SLOW! while running it under Compiz. Any ideas as to what the slowness is caused by??

Regards,
    Brandon.

EDIT: only in full screen, if you run Blender in Windowed mode but smaller than the screen size (blender -w p 0 0 800 600) Im running my screen at 1680 x 1050 this then drew the windowed version. The option for blender (windowed) off of the menu didnt work.
    Still what difference does a window verses full screen make??
    Last edited by Brandon.Viking; March 9th, 2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Updated information.