Thread: The infamous PCMCIA HDD...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The infamous PCMCIA HDD...

Yes, it's true...I have a Toshiba MK5002MPL PCMCIA HD (5gb). I cracked open an old mp3 player I had (A Bantam BA1000-5g for those interested ) and lo and behold, it had a little PCMCIA HDD in there!

I've been searching for hours to try and find solution for this, but to no avail. I've tried adding "irqpoll" to menu.lst. I've been searching for a way to enable the ide-cs module. I just can't get the thing to appear as a mountable drive.

Ubuntu seems to recognize it, but doesn't know what to do with it. Has anyone figured out a solution to getting PCMCIA Hard Drives to work with Ubuntu? By the looks of it, no one has.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro

Re: The infamous PCMCIA HDD...

bump

I'm hoping that at least one user is using a PCMCIA HDD.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

As what does Ubuntu recognise it?

Beans
    Distro

Well, this is what lshw is giving me

Code:
     *-pcmcia
                    description: CardBus bridge
                    product: PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller
                    vendor: Texas Instruments
                    physical id: 1
                    bus info: pci@0000:06:01.0
                    version: 00
                    width: 32 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
                    configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=176 maxlatency=5 mingnt=192 module=yenta_socket
                  *-storage
                       description: TOSHIBA
                       physical id: 0
                       version: MK5002MPL
                       slot: Socket 0
                       resources: irq:3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I happen to have one in an old ipaq expansion pack in a drawer right next to me. I watched syslog messages when I plugged it in. (tail -f /var/log/syslog in a terminal.) The system is seeing it, recognizes it as a pata hard drive, loads various drivers, etc, but there are errors and no device node is created.

I never plugged this hd into this system using hardy. On an older laptop wih dapper installed, though it always "just worked" though I don't remember for sure if I had to mount it manually.

I know, small consolation for you, but it looks like there may be a kernel or driver issue. I'll try playing with it later. If I get any results I'll post here. Let me know if you have any success too!
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lswb View Post
    I happen to have one in an old ipaq expansion pack in a drawer right next to me. I watched syslog messages when I plugged it in. (tail -f /var/log/syslog in a terminal.) The system is seeing it, recognizes it as a pata hard drive, loads various drivers, etc, but there are errors and no device node is created.

I never plugged this hd into this system using hardy. On an older laptop wih dapper installed, though it always "just worked" though I don't remember for sure if I had to mount it manually.

I know, small consolation for you, but it looks like there may be a kernel or driver issue. I'll try playing with it later. If I get any results I'll post here. Let me know if you have any success too!
    Hey,

Thanks for the response. It's nice to know I'm not alone here! I've read that these drives used to work with anything before Feisty. I'm searching for a patch, but I know it's not going to be an easy fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"I've read that these drives used to work with anything before Feisty. "

Hmm, that's about the time the older separate utilites for pcmcia cards was dropped, supposedly because their function had been incorporated into the newer pc card/cardbus drivers. I have a vague memory of deleting the older drivers since they were said to be unnecessary, but then having to reinstall them to work with some older pcmcia cards.

I'm a little hazy on the details right now, but there used to be separate driver packages for the older pcmcia (16 bit) cards and the newer cardbus (32 bit/pci) cards. At some point, the newer driver packages were to have taken over the function of the older packages, The Toshiba pcmcia hard disks use the older 16 bit pcmcia interface so it's likely this is related.
    Last edited by lswb; July 11th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lswb View Post
    "I've read that these drives used to work with anything before Feisty. "

Hmm, that's about the time the older separate utilites for pcmcia cards was dropped, supposedly because their function had been incorporated into the newer pc card/cardbus drivers. I have a vague memory of deleting the older drivers since they were said to be unnecessary, but then having to reinstall them to work with some older pcmcia cards.

I'm a little hazy on the details right now, but there used to be separate driver packages for the older pcmcia (16 bit) cards and the newer cardbus (32 bit/pci) cards. At some point, the newer driver packages were to have taken over the function of the older packages, The Toshiba pcmcia hard disks use the older 16 bit pcmcia interface so it's likely this is related.
    Thanks for the info! Oh man, if you happen to have the driver packages that support older pcmcia (or perhaps know where I could find them), I'd be so appreciative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry, but there aren't any for hardy. dapper had separate subsytems for the 16 bit pcmcia cards and 32 cardbus, but in current kernels the pcmcia subsystem is supposed to handle both types. If I understand things correctly ( a big "if" ) even if you had the source code for the older modules and compiled them for the hardy kernel, they would conflict with the current pcmcia modules.

Watching the kernel messages when plugging in the drive does indicate that the system sees the card and knows it's a disk drive, but is not able to complete the process of activating/reading or whatever you would call it. It seems to me that this is a plain old simple BUG, unfortunately. It's a shame that a 6 year ipaq running windows CE/pocket pc 2002, with an ARM processor and 64 MB memory can work with this drive, but a P4 with 1GB mem and the latest ubuntu OS can't! I might try to file a bug report, but I doubt it would get worked on anytime soon. Probably more productive to do some googling and see if there's any workaround or patch for the pertinent driver modules.