Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Problems with Flash Videos

Beans

[SOLVED] Problems with Flash Videos

Well, I'm having problems with flash videos, but only certain flash videos. I can watch YouTube just fine, but the flash videos that I want to watch are on http://www.fnn-news.com/. It is a Japanese news website. The video player comes up just fine, but when I push the play button, nothing happens.

Here is what I have tried so far:
    I downloaded nspluginwrapper from here.
    I installed libflashsupport using "sudo apt-get install libflashsupport"
    I removed flash using "sudo apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree"
    and then reinstalled using "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree"

That didn't work, so I also tried removing adobe flash and installing swfdec instead.

When I used swfdec and went back to the site again, the video player didn't come up at all, but a little blue screen came up where the video player normally is and gave me an error in Japanese saying that they only provide windows media format videos.

(I can play all the videos on the site if I download them separately and play them in mplayer, but I'd like to play them through the flash player because it's more convenient and also has a "play all" button so I can go through them all without having to download them one by one.)

So, if anyone has any help or suggestions, I'd appreciate it! Sorry my example site is in Japanese, I hope that doesn't complicate things. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Problems with Flash Videos

if youtube works its most likely not a flash problem.
    Maybe the news site is not even flash video. it could be some other type of streaming video
    "error in Japanese saying that they only provide windows media format videos."
    seems like you might need to get a browser plugin like totem firefox plugin or mozilla mplayer plugin to play this

Beans

I'm using Flash 10 (beta) ... for me the videos play OK. Follow the instructions in this post and you should be OK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by CameO73 View Post
    I'm using Flash 10 (beta) ... for me the videos play OK. Follow the instructions in this post and you should be OK.
    did you try the link in Kaneda post? I don't think so! neither flash 9 or flash 10 work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    did you try the link in Kaneda post? I don't think so! neither flash 9 or flash 10 work!
    The videos play fine for me, using beta 2 of Flash v10. Maybe it's a network issue?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CameO73 View Post
    Hmm... I tried both Flash 10 beta 1 and 2, and neither of them seem to work for me. But they obviously work for other people...

The video player loads and shows a static picture of the video, but if I actually push the play button, nothing happens (and sometimes firefox crashes).

Any ideas on what else might be the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm using flash v10 b2, and the news link worked fine for me.. It took a good second or two before the video started after I pressed the play button. Are you just being impatient? I know I've spent a lot of time scratching my head before when all I needed to do was restart or give the thing long enough to load.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oneporter View Post
    I'm using flash v10 b2, and the news link worked fine for me.. It took a good second or two before the video started after I pressed the play button. Are you just being impatient? I know I've spent a lot of time scratching my head before when all I needed to do was restart or give the thing long enough to load.
    Hmm... I wish that was it. I just tried again and waited for about 30 seconds. Then firefox crashed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It just crashed firefox3.0 and flash10b for me on amd64.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    It just crashed firefox3.0 and flash10b for me on amd64.
    Could it be a problem with Firefox 3.0? Maybe I should go back to 2.0? Are any of the people that can play the videos using FF3?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast