Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't figure out WPA2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Can't figure out WPA2

I really am having a lot of trouble trying to get my Netgear WPN111 adapter to work. It's turned into a 3 day project (so far).

I have no idea why it STILL won't work; I have everything installed correctly. I installed ndiswrapper, added my connection via System > Admin. > Network, entered in my WPA2 password, and my adapter is now blinking meaning it works.

Yet the internet connection is still out, and when I right click the two monitors icon at the top, and click Wireless Connections (or something like that), it doesn't show my connection.

My router allowed the MAC address for my adapter, and that isn't the problem because I am on the same computer using the same adapter on Windows XP.

I think the problem might be with the WPA2 password, but I really don't have a clue since I'm a complete noob at Linux and connecting to the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't figure out WPA2

No help?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

check out this "How-To" for instructions on how to get your adapter working.
    'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin

Registered Linux User#407002 / Registered Ubuntu User#1806

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've done all of that, and it still doesnt work. I'll try it again because when i first started, i was using Run Applications instead of Terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try this if you don't have v2 of your USB wireless: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=844856

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried helping someone else with the same kind of adapter a couple weeks ago who was experiencing exactly what you describe: all indicators point to the adapter being working under ndiswrapper, but it won't connect to WPA networks. That thread is still ongoing (the guy said he was going on vacation), so unfortunately I don't have an easy answer for you.

But I will try to help if you can do a few things and tell me the results.

First, if possible, please disable encryption on your wireless router and try to connect, and report your results.

Second, try to connect to your network a few times while it is using WPA. Then please post the output of these commands

Code:
    dmesg
    ndiswrapper -l
    iwconfig

Beans
    Distro

check out this "How-To" for instructions on how to get your adapter working.
    I've done all of that, and it still doesnt work. I'll try it again because when i first started, i was using Run Applications instead of Terminal.
    Yeah, the other guy that I was helping followed the same tutorial and ended up in exactly the same position as the original poster here, so I suspect that the problem comes down to WPA (probably a wpa supplicant issue), which that tutorial doesn't mention. That's why I want to know if it's possible to connect to an unsecured network with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    First, if possible, please disable encryption on your wireless router and try to connect, and report your results.
    I wish i could do that, but the router is connected to my dad's computer, and his computer is password-protected.

Second, try to connect to your network a few times while it is using WPA. Then please post the output of these commands

Code:
    dmesg
    ndiswrapper -l
    iwconfig
    I'll try that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok. This is what I got:

dmesg : incredibly long list, not sure what i was looking for

ndiswrapper -l : netwpn11 - driver installed, device present

iwconfig : wlan0 - IEEE 802.11g, mode: managed, freq: 2.412 GHz, Access Point: Not associated, bit rate: 108 mb/s. The rest of the values were 0.
    It takes a while to transfer from Ubuntu to WinXP, so I try to keep switching back and forth to a minimum. The adapter works fine in WinXP.

Beans
    Distro

It would be really good to see all of dmesg. If your computer is dual-boot, you could save the dmesg output into a text file and move it to the Windows partition (you can open the Windows partition under the Places menu). Otherwise, just save the file to a USB stick and bring it to a computer with Internet access so that you can post here. iwconfig and ndiswrapper -l don't say anything interesting, but dmesg will hopefully contain a clue about why the association is failing.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast