Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some beginner questions

Beans

some beginner questions

Hey, I am interested in trying linux as an alternative to windows. Just in case I don't like it, or I find it to be incompatible with this old dell laptop I have, I was going to try to dual boot at first. But I was wondering, how easy is it to remove Linux if I dual boot and I just want to keep windows? On the other hand, what happens if I love Linux and want to get rid of the windows OS, how hard is that? I know you need to partition the hard drive for dual boots, and I am not to familiar with that. Also, from looking around at this site, I see "Broadcom" (spelling?) wireless cards, which dells have, need to be tinkered with to work with ubuntu. Could I can seriously harm to card if I do this? If I mess with it and want to go back to windows, will it not work? I guess the same goes for any other hardware, but I was just curious. Thanks for your time, I hope this questions already haven't been answered.

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

Re: some beginner questions

its easy to dual boot to test if you will be comfortable.

Check these two links on how to partition and dual boot. Partitioning | Installing

You can simply format the ubuntu partition if you dont like it. and then use the XP CD to fix MBR. If you don't have the XP CD, i think there are ways to do it without it as well.

Getting rid of windows is easy too by simply formatting it. Note however, that if you are into gaming, you will not be able to play those games on Linux. so you might just want to hang on to the Windows partition even if you use Linux for all your daily activities.
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Inxsible View Post
    its easy to dual boot to test if you will be comfortable.

Check these two links on how to partition and dual boot. Partitioning | Installing

You can simply format the ubuntu partition if you dont like it. and then use the XP CD to fix MBR. If you don't have the XP CD, i think there are ways to do it without it as well.

Getting rid of windows is easy too by simply formatting it. Note however, that if you are into gaming, you will not be able to play those games on Linux. so you might just want to hang on to the Windows partition even if you use Linux for all your daily activities.
    thanks for the guides, I think I am going to try dual boot once the computer is backed up. So I can simply format the over one of the Operating Systems if I don't like it? Also what do you mean by "using the XP cd to fix MBR?" Thanks for the response.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You metioned old laptop. The lastest version of Ubuntu requires considerable amount of RAM and a good CPU to run smoothly. If it has less than 512MB you consider a special version: Xubuntu (www.xubuntu.org) which weights less on the computer resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: some beginner questions

Wellcome aboard.
    J saw your post minute ago.
    "fix mbr"?
    J tried on google and found this:http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html
    Hope u can use it.

Cheers

annda is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Also what do you mean by "using the XP cd to fix MBR?"
    it means that unless you have a windows install cd (NOT a recovery cd), you will have to jump some hoops to restore your computer to pure windows setup (booting and using windows will be no problem any way you go).

not to discourage you, but this is something many people ignore and are irritated with later on.
    Memo to self: "Someone's teaching, why don't you get taught?" (RUN DMC)
    --- registered Linux user #425843
    --- registered Ubuntu user #7354

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frenske View Post
    You metioned old laptop. The lastest version of Ubuntu requires considerable amount of RAM and a good CPU to run smoothly. If it has less than 512MB you consider a special version: Xubuntu (www.xubuntu.org) which weights less on the computer resources.

It is a Dell Inspiron 8600. From the system proprieties menu: "Intel Pentium Processor 1.40 Ghz 1.40Ghz, 512 MB of RAM." Do you think this is good enough for the latest version of ubuntu? Or should I go Xubuntu? Thanks for the heads-up.

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frenske View Post
    Or if its really old then you may even think of installing a minimal and then choosing your own window manager. But if you are brand new to Linux, then simply go with Ubuntu or Xubuntu which will give you a usable desktop.
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

Also what do you mean by "using the XP cd to fix MBR?"
    When you install ubuntu the boot-loader (program which boots the OS ), which is called GRUB, takes over as the main boot-loader and replaces the xp boot-loader in the MBR (Master Boot Record) . The MBR is first 512 bytes of the HD and is the place where MBR exists.
    If you remove ubuntu the GRUB loader will also be gone with it - so that you will need to fix (or place) the xp bootloader in the MBR to boot xp.
    A google search will give a lots of other info, e.g.:
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/arch...hp/t-3975.html

Hare Krishna
    And pray for me too...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

before you try all that possibly complicated partitioning try wubi: http://wubi-installer.org/
    i use it on a dell inspiron 1000 with 512mb ram and it wroks perfectly fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast