Thread: Firefox 3.0 disappointing

Beans

Firefox 3.0 disappointing

Is anyone else the slightest bit disappointed by the final stable release of Firefox 3? I spent an hour or two downloading it over my blazingly fast 21k dialup connection only to discover upon submitting it to Bitzi that it was version 3.0-RC3. At first I thought I had made a mistake and just downloaded the wrong version, but then I checked their FTP server and it turned out both versions had the same timestamp. I think it's kind of cheap of them to rename the release candidate instead of making even a tiny change, especially because it still CRASHES frequently when I delete things from the history.
    Last edited by kahlil88; July 8th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Firefox 3.0 disappointing

renaming a release candidate is pretty standard. The idea behind a release candidate is that it is release quality. The differences between the release candidates are very minimal since especially when you consider that large sections of the code are frozen. A release candidate becomes a Final Release when they dont have to make any more changes.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I haven't had any problems with FF 3. I noticed the RC3 thing in Ubuntu, but after looking around realized that they just failed to re-name it for some reason.

I haven't had any crashes since Beta 3 doing just about anything. And besides, they added extra Beta's and an extra Release Candidate to the process - they probably realized that RC3 was good enough to be the FC.
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!

It doesn't disappoint me. It runs better and faster on both my laptop(ArchLinux) and my family's desktop(Windows XP Pro)
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    renaming a release candidate is pretty standard. The idea behind a release candidate is that it is release quality. The differences between the release candidates are very minimal since especially when you consider that large sections of the code are frozen. A release candidate becomes a Final Release when they dont have to make any more changes.
    Hmmm...I didn't know that. I guess it makes sense. I'll keep this in mind the next time something goes from RC to final. In general, I'm pretty pleased with Firefox 3 (especially the native widgets), there just seem to be several bugs related to viewing/deleting items in the history that I think should have been ironed out before a final release.
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Beans
    Hidden!

If you're disappointed, why don't you try one of the other browsers that's out there, like Opera, Epiphany, Kazehakase, Konqueror or Galeon?
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

firefox isnt disappointing here, runs faster, doesnt crash as often, better gtk support, bug and memory fixes about, and the awesomebar is...awesome
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It isn't FF that is disappointing me, it is Flash which causes my FF to crash regularly that disappoints me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A little bit. It lost my cookies which I didn't think to export before the install. For some odd reason forward and backward buttons were not put up by default.....I had to go into toolbar config and add the forward/backward buttons. That was insane.

Beans

I wonder if it's because the version number bump from 2.0 to 3.0 seems very big. The Gecko revision change is the more interesting one - 1.8.1 to 1.9.
    A Fedora user