Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alt-drag windows in Windows

Beans

Alt-drag windows in Windows

Hi everyone.

I want to let you know of a program I've made for Windows, AltDrag. It lets you drag windows with the alt-button, as you can do in Ubuntu.
    It's very simple to use and I hope that you will find it useful.

Please let me know what you think.

Beans

Re: Alt-drag windows in Windows

Very nice, not having this always annoys me when I use Windows!

I just tried this on my Vista box, and it works well.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Maybe this could help people using windows XP on the eee PC? I use this Alt-drag function all the time on my eee PC (which has Ubuntu installed of course).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by recover89 View Post
    Hi everyone.

I want to let you know of a program I've made for Windows, AltDrag. It lets you drag windows with the alt-button, as you can do in Ubuntu.
    It's very simple to use and I hope that you will find it useful.

Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks a bunch. I'll try it the next time I'm running Windows.

Windows modifications still needed (following Linux ideas):

1. Make left + right click equal middle click so that laptop users can easily open links in new tabs.
    2. Decent multiple desktop support. XP's PowerToys took a stab at it, but their implementation was lame.

Beans

I'm glad you guys like it
    Please feel free to spread the word, I think there's a lot of people who want this functionality.

I can middle click with my Alps Touch Pad with Dell drivers (model Dell Latitude D505). It's working pretty well. I can agree with you that there are no small utility doing this though, and I'm not sure if the dell drivers would work on any other laptop.

I think multi-desktop would be a bit harder to code, and would require a lot of time. Anyhow, I would be glad to give it a shot, but I don't have any guarantee's

I've done a few other programs which I've also put on Google Code, you might find some of them interesting as well: http://code.google.com/u/recover89/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: Alt-drag windows in Windows

Very useful. Especially ShutdownGuard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by recover89 View Post
    I can middle click with my Alps Touch Pad with Dell drivers (model Dell Latitude D505). It's working pretty well. I can agree with you that there are no small utility doing this though, and I'm not sure if the dell drivers would work on any other laptop.
    I intended my comments as more of a complaint against Windows than as a feature request. However, if you decide to write such programs, I certainly won't object! All the touchpads I've used have been made by Synaptics. The only way I've found to middle click using the Synaptics driver is to configure tap to click, then configure the left button to serve as the middle button. This is a low priority for me, though, because I only rarely use Windows.

I think multi-desktop would be a bit harder to code, and would require a lot of time.
    Yes, I suspect that would be a major project.

Beans

I just released 0.2.
    Now you can't drag fullscreen windows, so now you can play fullscreen games without accidentally ruining it by dragging the window.
    Windows are better placed when they are restored from their maximized state, previously the cursor would be in the center of the window.

Hope you'll like it

Beans

Released 0.3.
    Changelog:
    • Fixed a bug that made AltDrag ignore all windows which were at the screen borders since it thought they were fullscreen windows.
    • Improved performance by only installing the mouse hook when the alt key is pressed.

Beans

Released 0.4:
    • You can now hold the shift key to make the window stick to other windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast