Thread: Totem/GStreamer

Beans

Question Totem/GStreamer

I have a DLNA compliant UPnP media server on my network, and it has lot's of media on it. I'm not looking to setup an HTPC in this particular case, but I do want to be able to access the content from my PC in the other room. It appeard the best solution for my particular wants was to deploy Totem. However, when I use Totem to connect to the server, it doesn't do anything. I reloaded Totem from a terminal to get debuging info and I see messages that it needs a text/http plugin. I have all the plugin's installed avalible installed. So how do I go about being able to view and play the content.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Totem/GStreamer

a google search for "server streaming media ubuntu" yielded many results. try it.

Beans

Re: Totem/GStreamer

I'm finding tons of info on how to set up a streaming server (which I'm not looking to do - thats already done), but I'm finding no answers for setting up a client in Ubuntu to receive those streams. Now I realize I can always play it directly using an smb share, but then the player (be it totem, xine, mplayer, Rhythmbox, etc) copies the media first temporarily, then plays it & removes it. It's okay with smaller files such as my music and photo's, but I have some pretty large home videos that it's extremely annoying to do that with.