Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Converting your movies to DPG format for moonshell on the Nintendo DS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HOWTO: Converting your movies to DPG format for moonshell on the Nintendo DS

This is a how to for converting videos into the DPG format in Ubuntu which can then be run in moonshell on your Nintendo DS.
    If you have any tips, found mistakes or found out a better way to get this done, please comment below.

Ok here we go...

Step 1: Getting the right stuff

Install mencoder and mplayer:
    Open up a terminal and copy this into there:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mencoder mplayer
    Get your hands on the dpgconv python script and mpeg_stat:
    Download the dpgconv script here (http://theli.ho.com.ua/dpgconv/dpgconv-0.43.py)
    Get mpeg_stat here (ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/FreeBSD/di...2b-src.tar.gz/)
    If this link doesn't work I have uploaded the archive below

Step 2: Setting it up

Create new folder in your home directory and name it DPG
    Move the file you want to convert, the mpeg_stat archive and the dpgconv script into this folder

Now we have to compile mpeg_stat
    extract the mpeg_stat archive in the DPG folder (right click --> extract here)
    Open up a terminal
    Code:
    cd /home/DPG/mpeg_stat-2.2b-src/mpeg_stat
    make
    Move mpeg_stat and mpeg_stat.1 to /bin (otherwise the dpgconv script can't find them)
    Code:
    cd /home/DPG
    sudo cp mpeg_stat /bin/mpeg_stat
    sudo cp mpeg_stat.1 /bin/mpeg_stat.1
    You can't just copy files into the /bin folder without having the right permissions, hence the sudo command

Create an executable of the dpgconv script
    Code:
    cd /home/DPG
    chmod +x dpgconv-0.43.py

Step 3: converting the video

Code:
    cd /home/DPG
    python dpgconv-0.43.py video.avi
    That's about it, enjoy watching videos on your DS!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Skatertjah; July 10th, 2008 at 08:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Converting your movies to DPG format for moonshell on the Nintendo DS

I just ordered an M3 Real and the last time I'd checked (some months ago) I could only find win utilities for making dpg files. I can't wait to try this out (I've been using TCPMP on an old Palm Tungsten E to watch portable movies, but the battery life is bad and the speakers are flaky).

On that note, I have some smooth running specs for putting running XViD videos on the Palm...
    Hester: 12.04 Desktop x64 | Core i5-2540M @ 2.6 GHz | 16GB DDR3 | 80GB SSD + 256GB SSD
    Cortana: 12.04 Desktop x86 | Atom N270 @ 1.6 GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 32GB SSD
    Horatio: 12.04 Server x64 | Atom N330 @ 1.6 GHz | 1GB DDR2 | 2.5TB

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Converting your movies to DPG format for moonshell on the Nintendo DS

Quote Originally Posted by Skatertjah View Post

Now we have to compile mpeg_stat
    extract the mpeg_stat archive in the DPG folder (right click --> extract here)
    Open up a terminal
    Code:
    make
    Hi there... i ran into a few problems when i tried to compile, here is the output from the terminal:
    Code:
    enda@enda-laptop:~/DPG/mpeg_stat-2.2b-src/mpeg_stat$ make
    gcc -I/usr/include -O    -c -o util.o util.c
    util.c:46:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from util.c:47:
    video.h:45:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
    video.h:46:20: error: setjmp.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from util.c:48:
    proto.h:135: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    proto.h:136: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    In file included from util.c:50:
    opts.h:46: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:47: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:48: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:49: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:50: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:51: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:52: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    opts.h:53: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
    util.c: In function ‘correct_underflow’:
    util.c:149: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘fprintf’
    util.c:149: error: ‘stderr’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    util.c:149: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    util.c:149: error: for each function it appears in.)
    util.c:151: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’
    util.c:154: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘fprintf’
    util.c:165: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’
    util.c: In function ‘next_bits’:
    util.c:202: error: ‘NULL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    util.c: In function ‘get_ext_data’:
    util.c:255: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘malloc’
    util.c: In function ‘next_start_code’:
    util.c:318: error: ‘NULL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    util.c: In function ‘get_extra_bit_info’:
    util.c:447: error: ‘NULL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    util.c:452: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘malloc’
    make: *** [util.o] Error 1
    anyone have any ideas? are there files missing from my unpacked archive?

Beans

ok for your problem there I don't think you went into the right folder because it says some files do not exist. So go inside of your mpeg_stat-2.2b-src then inside of mpeg_stat folder and click Ctrl+L. It'll tell you the location of that folder. Simply highlight and copy that location. Open up a terminal enter cd then a space and paste what you have just copied then press enter. Now it should be in the right folder so just type the word make. Then it should work.

I am having a problem with this. When i convert video sizes that are around 40 mins and up the sound gets off sync. I am thinking that that would be because the dpg files settings are set to high.
    So basically my question is does the sound get of sync because the quiality of the video is too high for the ds?

Also if the quality is the case what should I make the framerate and bitrate?
    Last edited by dbn045; July 31st, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

Thanks for this, very useful!

In case people don't read the .py script, you can add --hq or --lq to the arguments to make it higher or lower quality.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dbn045 View Post
    ok for your problem there I don't think you went into the right folder because it says some files do not exist. So go inside of your mpeg_stat-2.2b-src then inside of mpeg_stat folder and click Ctrl+L. It'll tell you the location of that folder. Simply highlight and copy that location. Open up a terminal enter cd then a space and paste what you have just copied then press enter. Now it should be in the right folder so just type the word make. Then it should work.

Hi dbn045,

no luck with this, i'm definitely in the correct folder. the archive i'm downloading is the one attached to the end of your original post, not the one thats linked in the actual post (that one takes me to a download link for a .bin file). Do you mind having a look at the archive to make sure its complete? Sorry about this, i'm really lost!

Beans

try:

sudo apt-get install gcc

after install then:

make

when finished. type:

sudo cp mpeg_stat /bin/mpeg_stat
    sudo cp mpeg_stat.1 /bin/mpeg_stat.1

then:
    cd /home/DPG
    chmod +x dpgconv-0.43.py

and finally:

Step 3: converting the video
    Code:

cd /home/DPG
    python dpgconv-0.43.py video.avi

I think you have to copy the video to encode into the DPG directory. when you are done converting you should find a video.dpg file in this directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nandotron View Post
    Hi dbn045,

no luck with this, i'm definitely in the correct folder. the archive i'm downloading is the one attached to the end of your original post, not the one thats linked in the actual post (that one takes me to a download link for a .bin file). Do you mind having a look at the archive to make sure its complete? Sorry about this, i'm really lost!
    I used the archive that your talking about and it worked.(I first tried the link like you did and then I got the archive and it worked).
    I don't know what your problem is then you have tried downloading the file again I assume? If not maybe download it again its worth a try lol.
    well hope you get it working its pretty sweet I have mine working and it works like a charm except for long videos i'm having a bit of a trouble with there words being off sync. Though I might be able to solve that if i just simply lower the frames per second maybe.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Converting your movies to DPG format for moonshell on the Nintendo DS

Thanks I now have the conversion working on Debian ETCH

Beans

What is a terminal???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast