Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carmageddon 2 Glide on Wine (Guide of sort)

Beans

Carmageddon 2 Glide on Wine (Guide of sort)

Carmageddon 2 is a great game that I still love to this day. I managed to get a re-release of original cd too!
    So now that I have installed my Hardy I decided to give the game a go.

Ofcourse it was a failure at first as this game refuses to detect any kind of rendering mode that wine offers it.

Then i thought oh why not just try zeckensack's glide wrapper.
    http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/
    After installing the wrapper on Wine, Carma 2 finds glide mode and runs VERY VERY smoothly. Actualy even smoother than it did on W******! And it runs in high resolution mode too.(you have to set it trough glide config)
    This might also help other guys who have troubles runing old games that have glide rendering option as zecken wrapper seems to be 100% compatible with wine.

Now for you people who still have this game i'd recommend reinstalling it and getting some of the many many addon cars and tracks made for it on these sites:

Best of Mac Carpocalypse
    C.R.U.D.
    Wasted
    TTR's Garage

Have fun!

I'm using Wine 1.1.0 and i have Ati driver version 8.6 installed.

Beans

Re: Carmageddon 2 Glide on Wine (Guide of sort)

Hi,

Did you try the multiplayer?

Cheers!
    --
    sledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I just tested it, and while Carmageddon 2 is fluent while in lowres software modus, it is hardly playable in Direct3D modus (5 to 10fps).

But now with that Glide Wrapper I get the software framerate combined with the D3D graphic beauty (even better I'd say), woop!

Conclusion: with zeckensack's glide wrapper fully playable with no penalties at all.

Beans

Good to hear you got it working.
    When I start the game, I pick settings and then click 'launch' I get "Carmageddon Fatal Error: Couldn't open General Settings file"

I tried installing the glidewrapper, I tried direct3d, glide and software, all give the same problem. (but I don't think it's somewhere with the settings/graphics, it seems like it cannot access some file it needs). I installed wine and carmageddon 2 "fresh".

Anyone an idea?

Edit: woohoo got it working too. apparently I needed a no-cd patch..
    It doesn't save the game though
    Last edited by Dieter@be; April 12th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I use the no-cd patch, but that was not enough to keep me from getting the same problem as yours.

To solve the problem, I first change my working dir in the shell to the carmageddon dir, and in that dir I launch the game with the wine carma2.exe command. To not have to go into the shell everytime I want to play carmageddon 2, I made a bash script that does all that. This scripts is called when I click the shortcut I made myself in the Applications - Games menu of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I can get it to install (the game, directx, but not quicktime) but it crashes before anything happens when I try and run it... Does anyone know where a guide or trouble shoot for installing is for this game?
    To a man with a hammer, many things look like nails. Furthermore, I have discovered that my ability to use Linux is proportional to both my skill with Google, and my blood-caffeine content. LastFM Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Arcnsparc View Post
    I can get it to install (the game, directx, but not quicktime) but it crashes before anything happens when I try and run it... Does anyone know where a guide or trouble shoot for installing is for this game?
    don't install directx, read the guide in the original post which says to install the glide wrapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Where did you get the no-cd patch? I'm struggling to find it.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Uh, is it THAT hard to GOOGLE? First hit was the right file. "carmageddon 2 no cd"
    Ubuntu XP Professional - Shameless Integration (tm)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

No sound, sound server keeps quitting if I open volume control. Oh dear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast