Thread: Need help in accessing the Linux Server

Hybrid View

Beans

Need help in accessing the Linux Server

Hi folks
    Due to some rather odd circumstances I have to manage a server running Linux. Having zero experience I was told I could access the server from my home computer using Putty.
    Well it didn't work.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry if this is a daft question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Need help in accessing the Linux Server

Maybe they are hosting the ssh server on a diferent port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Which part didn't work?
    When you start up PuTTY and type in the host name or IP address and then click the 'open' button, did that get a response from the server?

Bob

Beans

How do you access it from work? Do you use putty there? If you don't use putty from work, it may be that an SSH service isn't running.

What version of Linux is it?

A linux server will often have an SSH server running which you can connect to with putty. I don't have any windows machines around to try at the moment, but I seem to remember that with putty you just specify the destination IP address and port 22 - it figures out for itself that 22 is SSH.

Assuming an SSH server is running on port 22, you still have to arrange for incoming connections to port 22 to make it through the firewall (maybe arranging to forward that port through a NAT gateway) and be passed on to the server. Have you arranged firewall access and NAT forwarding?

You say it didn't work. Does this mean that you do know the address and port number to try and connect to from the Internet?

To see if an ssh server is running, log onto the box and enter the command netstat -lnt . This lists the open listening TCP ports - see if port 22 is mentioned. If not then you need to install an SSH server. How to do this depends on the version of Linux. For Ubuntu and derivatives, the command sudo aptitude install openssh-server will do the trick.

Beans

The repsonse I get is network error timed out.
    I do not acces from work.
    I have altered the firewall as suggested.
    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 'Hardy' x64 is the version of linux running.
    There is nothing on port 22 and
    sudo aptitude install openssh-server returned a message ssh is not reconized.
    Thanks for the ideas folks.
    Still stuck

Beans

If it's hardy, then
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install openssh-server
    should do the trick. Can you post the exact error message?

Or if you have a GUI working, System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and search for openssh-server and install it from there - the result should be the same as the command line.

Beans

All I get is sudo is not reconized as an internal or external command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by blythescat View Post
    The repsonse I get is network error timed out.
    If that's the response when you start up PuTTY and type in the host name or IP address and then click the 'open' button, then either a) you have the wrong host name/IP address, or b) the server isn't running SSH.

I would contact whomever said you could access it with PuTTY and specifically verify that it is running SSH and that you have the right address.

Quote Originally Posted by blythescat View Post
    sudo aptitude install openssh-server returned a message ssh is not reconized.
    Where exactly are you typing sudo aptitude install...? In PuTTY? Anything like that isn't going to work until you first are able to log into the server. (but of course none of it would be needed if you could actually log into the server).

Bob

Beans

Thanks Bob for all your help.
    I will confirm with hosting company what they have done or not done!
    Best wishes
    Ali