Thread: Some general questions

Beans

Some general questions

I have these questions i need an answer for:
    1- How can i log in automatically without the system asked me for username and password? It is my machine and there is one user.

2- After i configured my nvidia card i can change screen resolution to more than 1024*768. How can i change that? I need 1280*1024.

3- How can i install .bin software like firefox, blender, Google earth, realplayer and others that are not downloaded from repository.

4- How can i save the softwares and updates downloaded from repository to use on other machine?

5- I need a proxy software like ultrasurf or hotspot shield ( windows programs ) to surf the web anonymously, is there any working under linux?

6- When i download an image or pdf file to my desktop or any folder it shows what the file is ( like thumbnail ), how can i prevent it from showing like that and to see the program icon that opens this file instead?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Some general questions

Quote Originally Posted by baistaef View Post
    I have these questions i need an answer for:
    1- How can i log in automatically without the system asked me for username and password? It is my machine and there is one user.
    System, Administration, Login Window, Security tab.

3- How can i install .bin software like firefox, blender, Google earth, realplayer and others that are not downloaded from repository.
    Google Earth and firefox are both available in the repositories. Firefox is in the Hardy Updates repository. (Synaptic, Settings, Repositories, Updates.

For Google Earth in hardy, enable the Medibuntu repository:
    Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    Once the repository is enabled, install Google Earth (this is a metapackage, no version number required. current version 4.3):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install googleearth

How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
    Ubuntu Guide: Hardy: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy
    Last edited by drs305; July 5th, 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

1- System --> Administration --> Login Window --> Security --> Check "Enable Automatic Login" Select your name. That should do the trick.

2- System --> Preferences --> Screen Resolution

Other than that I am not sure how to answer your other questions. Good luck.

Beans

6- When i download an image or pdf file to my desktop or any folder it shows what the file is ( like thumbnail ), how can i prevent it from showing like that and to see the program icon that opens this file instead?
    Open Nautilus and go to Edit > Preferences > Preview, and change show tumbnails from Local Files only to Never.

Beans

4. save the files in /var/cache/apt/ or just use aptoncd (in the repos)
    5. check out squid.