Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu

Beans

Beans

Re: Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running on a laptop with Jaunty.

My old G4 iBook died a while back, and I was able to pull the hard drive out and put it in an external casing. I want to pull all of my old files off of it, but as with everyone else, I couldn't because I didn't have permission. I couldn't even see the files.

So I found this thread, reviewed, tried a few things, and now I can at least see each file, which I couldn't before. I am doing this by putting "sudo nautilus" into terminal. It popped open a window where I could see everything on this old iBook harddrive.

But I can't copy or paste; my computer still says that I don't have the permission to copy/paste these files. I can even open some of these files (like the pictures or the rtfs) but it won't let me copy paste, which will be necessary for the files that are in an Apple format.

Beans

1.Mount drive
    2.Open terminal
    3. type 'sudo nautilus' (this can break stuff so be careful)
    Browse to drive.. you now have full permish to view/copy files. (you may have to do this twice to have another sudo window open as the copy destination)
    4. rejoice!

Beans

Thanks everybody for all the tips. Ubuntu 10.10 just needed chmod 777 path..

Note that if you partition your USB drive with OS X disk utility (IE partition 1 is unjounaled HFS+, partition 2 fat32) the drive is flagged as journaled even if the HFSPlus partition on the drive is not journaled. This will cause the drive to mount as Read Only. The entire drive seems to be needed to be one partition of non-journaled. So repartition the drive as one unjournaled partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Meterman View Post
    Thanks everybody for all the tips. Ubuntu 10.10 just needed chmod 777 path..

Note that if you partition your USB drive with OS X disk utility (IE partition 1 is unjounaled HFS+, partition 2 fat32) the drive is flagged as journaled even if the HFSPlus partition on the drive is not journaled. This will cause the drive to mount as Read Only. The entire drive seems to be needed to be one partition of non-journaled. So repartition the drive as one unjournaled partition.

Hi, is there an easy way to mount my mac partition for read/write access in ubuntu 11? Maybe a graphical manager? Don't quite get the chmod and command-line based actions yet.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu

Here's a quirk: Last week, I ran into a corollary issue: while I have been able to read files from Mac external USB HDs, I found recently that I was unable to WRITE to any of the ones I tried! The user number was 99, and since I know Mac OSX is in fact a Unix variant I tried creating a user with user number 99. No luck - I could read files and open directories, and create directories, but not write to or copy files. ???

Oddly, the new user never showed up in System>Administration>Users and Groups. And despite my deleting the dummmy user's home directory, that user name still appears at time running processes... what the heck is user 99 in a standard install?

WAIT - THERE'S MORE: two days later, I passed a DOS-formatted USB memory dongle with some files on it to a guy sitting next to me on a Linux Mint (Ubuntu-derived) laptop. And HE could read files and open directories, and create directories, but not write to or copy files!

In BOTH cases, the system insisted the USB drive was read-only. Nothing I, my root or my root terminal - not my Mint friend's - would let us write to the external mac USB hard drive or DOS-formatted memory USB dongle could change this, and between us we must have at least two brain cells. Remember - Mac is Unix with a lot of Big-Brother crap on top of it. I suspect that, whatever this problem is, both these oddities are related...
    ED BEAR

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ed bear View Post
    Here's a quirk: Last week, I ran into a corollary issue: while I have been able to read files from Mac external USB HDs, I found recently that I was unable to WRITE to any of the ones I tried! The user number was 99, and since I know Mac OSX is in fact a Unix variant I tried creating a user with user number 99. No luck - I could read files and open directories, and create directories, but not write to or copy files. ???

Oddly, the new user never showed up in System>Administration>Users and Groups. And despite my deleting the dummmy user's home directory, that user name still appears at time running processes... what the heck is user 99 in a standard install?

WAIT - THERE'S MORE: two days later, I passed a DOS-formatted USB memory dongle with some files on it to a guy sitting next to me on a Linux Mint (Ubuntu-derived) laptop. And HE could read files and open directories, and create directories, but not write to or copy files!

In BOTH cases, the system insisted the USB drive was read-only. Nothing I, my root or my root terminal - not my Mint friend's - would let us write to the external mac USB hard drive or DOS-formatted memory USB dongle could change this, and between us we must have at least two brain cells. Remember - Mac is Unix with a lot of Big-Brother crap on top of it. I suspect that, whatever this problem is, both these oddities are related...
    ED BEAR
    If the Mac Filesystem you are mounting in Linux is "Mac Journaled Filesystem" then it will only mount in Linux in "Read Only" mode. The only way around this is to disable Journaling on the Mac Drive you're trying to write to in Linux and this must be done within Mac OS via Terminal/Terminal Commands.

I'm not sure of a way to disable Journaling on a Mac Drive from within Linux Unfortunately...

Beans

Could someone help me with file permissions? All I want to do, is to be able to read files from my OS X 10.7 partition (no write). More specifically I just want to be able to listen to my mp3s from my iTunes folder also in Ubuntu. Should I change file permissions in OS X? If yes, to what?

edit.

OK I solved the issue.

Here's what I did (for this to work I think user name and password need to be the same in OS X and Ubuntu):

1. Open terminal in Mac OS X and type
    Code:
    id
    2. Take notice of what is your UID number (for me it was 501)

3. Boot into Ubuntu recovery mode from GRUB and change your UID
    Code:
    usermod -u TYPE_UID_NUMBER TYPE_USER_NAME
    4. You need to reboot the computer, just type
    Code:
    reboot
    5. That's it.
    Last edited by lolleepop; September 9th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieP View Post
    Use terminal to go to where the files are. If they're on your desktop and your username is tati, there's only files and not directories, and there's nothing else on your desktop that's not "yours," then:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo chown tati.tati *
    Iam trying to get data of a drive from a dead Macbook pro this resolution does not work. It keeps saying permission denied.

Any other Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Iam trying to get data of a drive from a dead Macbook pro this resolution does not work. It keeps saying permission denied.

Any other Ideas?
    I just got this to work today - not sure you are still looking for the solution?

I purchases/used a IDE/ATA/SATA to USB adapter to access the Macintosh HDD as a USB device.

Did have to use terminal. And to copy files from Macintosh HD used command
    sudo cp -R /media/Macintosh\ HD/Users /home/(your folder/User ID)/destination

Once files are copied - then run command:
    sudo chown -hR (your folder/UserID) /home/(your folder/User ID)/destination *

This changes all subfolders to have your UID as the new owner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast