Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Access files on a Mac hard drive in Ubuntu

Thanks to flaggh and DonnieP! These are the commands to copy files on a Mac hard drive to a PC running Ubuntu.

Code:
    1. sudo cp -R /path/to/macdrives /home/user/newdirectory
    2. cd ~/Desktop
    3. sudo chown tati.tati *

Beans

Unfortunately the laptop running Ubuntu does not have space for the 120GB of music and photos that I have on the Mac external hard drive. Is there an alternative to copying the files to my laptop and changing the owner using the previous instructions? When I try to run them on the hard drive, I get a "read-only file system" error in Terminal. I am also unable to change the permissions in Nautilus.

Beans

open a superuser view using "sudo nautilus" & use that for copying/moving whatever you want. Then run chown on the copied files.

I'm not familiar with that chown notation, I usually navigate to the folder {cd /path/to..} then {sudo chown tati *}. Sometimes I have to do */* etc for it to change deep into the folders.
    Last edited by Washer; July 19th, 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Washer View Post
    I'm not familiar with that chown notation, I usually navigate to the folder {cd /path/to..} then {sudo chown tati *}. Sometimes I have to do */* etc for it to change deep into the folders.
    the command posted changes the user and the group (both named tati).

Your HFS+ filesystem is mounted read-only. you have to disable journaling (in OS X) to get it writable under linux.
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_hfsplus

Beans

I was able to borrow a friend's Mac and disable journaling (the non-destructive option) on my external hard drive. Thanks, cyberdork33.
    Last edited by tati; July 23rd, 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Beans

What if I don't have a friend with a macbook to disable journaling. Then what?

Beans

I installed Ubuntu in a VirtualBox machine on OS X (pretty easy and straightforward), but to access a Mac harddrive from Ubuntu was slightly more complicated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zandrarogers View Post
    I installed Ubuntu in a VirtualBox machine on OS X (pretty easy and straightforward), but to access a Mac harddrive from Ubuntu was slightly more complicated.

I'll give that a try!

Thanks

Otherwise I'm on the hunt for an exact mac model to just slap the HDD in and backup the data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gizzardjr View Post
    Otherwise I'm on the hunt for an exact mac model to just slap the HDD in and backup the data.
    ? What are you trying to accomplish? you don't have to disable journalling just to copy files off the drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    From the posts so far, it is not clear if

1. Your mac drive (HFS+ filesystem) is accessible from your PC somehow.

2. You have managed to connect to the drive (mount command in linux, often automatic when running ubuntu)

I am trying to do something similar - basically rescue files from a hard drive that wont boot (MacBook) using the Ubuntu Live CD - except in my case, the hard drive didn't just appear on the desktop. How do I mount it, or see if I can gain access to it (it may be completely fried...not sure at this point)? It doesn't appear in the Places tab on Desktop and no options appear when use ls in the /media directory from a terminal.

Any suggestions to figure out if the HD is accessible at all would be great...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast