Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Installing 8.04 onto Acer Aspire 1350 - not running desktop

Beans

Re: Installing 8.04 onto Acer Aspire 1350 - not running desktop

Quote Originally Posted by joshis View Post
    Well, maybe one more shot in the dark: press F6 before you boot the LiveCD and append " VGA=791" to the boot options. Otherwise, someone smarter than I must come to help you...

(Also, do you really have acer aspire 1350 laptop?)
    I do, and can't install Ubuntu on it either. Forgive me, but isn't Linux reputed to be better? I've installed various flavours of Windows from 3.1 to Vista and have never had the problems I'm having trying to install Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeggerleg View Post
    I do, and can't install Ubuntu on it either. Forgive me, but isn't Linux reputed to be better? I've installed various flavours of Windows from 3.1 to Vista and have never had the problems I'm having trying to install Ubuntu.
    This is difficult to say - what do you mean by "better"? I believe this is up to requirements and thus I do not dare to judge this. I am using Kubuntu 8.10 on laptop (Acer Aspire 1350), Ubuntu 8.10 on desktop and WindowsXP Home at home, as need it for one specific application (I won't write which one otherwise I am finished here)... simply every OS has it's pros and cons...

I would say it this way (diplomatic answer): "Better operating system is the one you better understand, Linux is harder to understand for newbies (which is me too)."

But back to the thread subject... Basically said: starting from Ubuntu 7.10, I guess, you cannot easily install (K)Ubuntu on Acer Aspire 1350 due to problems with graphics.

What I suggest you if previous steps did not help you: Find a Ubuntu 7.04 distribution, install this one and go through the sequence of updates to 8.10. It is not comfortable but I guess it should work. You can go through the "update cycle" using a command line (and clicking through the update manager):

$ sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sudo update-manager --dist-upgrade

I hope that helps, please do not start another useless flamewar about which operating system is worse/better.

Joshis
    http://wiki.netbeans.org/PetrDvorak

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joshis View Post
    >snip
    But back to the thread subject... Basically said: starting from Ubuntu 7.10, I guess, you cannot easily install (K)Ubuntu on Acer Aspire 1350 due to problems with graphics.

What I suggest you if previous steps did not help you: Find a Ubuntu 7.04 distribution, install this one and go through the sequence of updates to 8.10. It is not comfortable but I guess it should work. You can go through the "update cycle" using a command line (and clicking through the update manager):

$ sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sudo update-manager --dist-upgrade

I hope that helps, please do not start another useless flamewar about which operating system is worse/better.

Joshis
    http://wiki.netbeans.org/PetrDvorak
    I had no intention of starting a flame war. I'm quite happy with Ubuntu on my Dell laptop and after following your advice re: 7.04 have managed to install it on my Acer - thank you.

Beans

I had the same problem

Joshis' "xorg.conf" works perfectly!!!

Beans

Wink Re: Installing 8.04 onto Acer Aspire 1350 - not running desktop

Thank you very much for the info on how to Update the Monitor section to include the Horizontal and Vertical Refresh Rates. I also have Acer aspire 1350, and this solved my problem with the ubuntu installation (ubuntu 8.04). Though, it did not work for ubuntu 8.10.

Beans

I had the same problem on my acer aspire 1350.
    I solved it on the 8.10 adding the HorizSynch/VertRefresh settings in the xorg.conf.

Now I updated to 9.04 and it does not work anymore.

The error messages in the Xorg.0.log are:

(EE) CHROME(0): No valid modes found
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screen found

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Beans

I have the same problem... everything worked fine with the old Ubuntu releases up to 8.10. But now with Jaunty Jackalope (9.04) I get the same "screen not found error" when I try "startx". The exact name of my model is 1355LC (one flavor of the 1350 Acer Aspire notebook family). Could anyone help?

Beans

Me too. I had ubuntu 8.10 working on my aspire 1350 with Joshi's HorizSynch/VertRefresh patch. But I've just updated to 9.04 and now it doesnt work.

Same error in the Xorg.0.log are:

(EE) CHROME(0): No valid modes found
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log i've seen this:
    "Primary device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
    VIA Technologies does not support this driver in any way"

Please, post here any solution you may find
    thanks!
    Last edited by nacho@saski.com; April 26th, 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: +details

Beans

Installing 9.04 on Acer Aspire 1350 - not running desktop - how to fix

Now Jaunty works for my Acer Aspire 1350 (1355LC) notebook!!!
    I followed these steps:
    1) getting the latest openchrome source code
    2) decompressing the code
    3) entering the newly created directory
    4) compiling the source code
    5) restarting the x-server
    6) using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)!

These are the commands I wrote:

1) wget http://www.openchrome.org/releases/x...0.2.903.tar.gz
    2) tar xvzf xf86-video-openchrome-0.2.903.tar.gz
    3) cd xf86-video-openchrome-0.2.903
    4) sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr
    ... in this step I got an error concerning some missing libraries (xorg-server, xproto, xvmc, fontsproto, libdrm)... I solved these problems typing:
    4-a) sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-core
    4-b) sudo apt-get -f install
    4-c) sudo apt-get install libxvmc-dev
    5) sudo make
    6) sudo make install
    7) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    8) then the X Desktop appeared!!!

I hope this can be of help!

Beans

it works, thanks a lot, giulianisenior!
    I've fixed it following your post and with some help grabbed here