Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse Ganymede + Subclipse: anyone succeeded?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Angry Eclipse Ganymede + Subclipse: anyone succeeded?

Hello everybody.
    I'm a JavaEE developer, currently using Ubuntu Hardy + Eclipse Europa. I'd like to upgrade to Eclipse Ganymede but I really can't get Subclipse to work.

I have problems with the installation of JavaHL libraries I really can go through, that's why I really need your help, Ubuntu community!

In order to operate, Subclipse needs to use an SVN interface (JavaHL), but I can't find a way to set it up in Ganymede. First I tried to install the JavaHL libraries from the Sublipse update, with no success.
    Then I tried to use JavaHL binding in Ubuntu repositories installing the libsvn-javahl package. Again, with no success.

Anytime I try to configure the Subclipse plugin it tells that the JavaHL interface cannot be found. Anybody succeeded in such an upgrade? I really can't find how to get through it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    L.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Eclipse Ganymede + Subclipse: anyone succeeded?

I have Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede) and Subclipse here on my 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 laptop.

As far as I know, the JavaHL stuff (native library for SVN access) is not absolutely required. Subclipse can either use JavaHL or a pure Java interface.

In Eclipse, go to Window / Preferences / Team / SVN. Select "SVNKit (Pure Java)" instead of JavaHL as the SVN interface.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

I have the exact same problem (Ubuntu 8.04 using Ganymede). I can't get the JavaHL library working either so I switched to the SVNKit pure Java client library. Be aware there is an undocumented "feature" that blesses you with its kind and benevolent presence. As soon as you perform any local actions on a checked-out tree, it upgrades your meta data to 1.5. (This is the info in the .svn dir). Works flawlessly from Eclipse (Ganymede). However, you can forget using the Ubuntu supplied svn command line tool or <oXygen/>. They will both report:
    Code:
    svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'src/com/dilijent/gsp/mti/util'; please get a newer Subversion client
    The 1.5 clients will be available in Ubuntu 8.10....

I'm still trying to figure out:
    • How to tell SVNKit NOT to perform this upgrade - you can do this in your own code. I don't know how to do it within Eclipse.
    • How to get the linker to load the javahl library
    Last edited by jesterfred; July 8th, 2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Clean up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Lightbulb Re: Eclipse Ganymede + Subclipse: anyone succeeded?

Thank for replying jespdj and jesterfred.
    Your post have been very clarifying to me. Unfortunately using SVNKit doesn't work for my project, Eclipse hangs on every SVN operation attempt.

Anyway I've read (click here) that there are chances to succeed with JavaHL + Ganymede using an older version of Subclipse. I haven't had the time to try it out yet, but setting an old update mirror for Subclipse should be a workaround.

Try:
    Code:
    http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.2.x
    Hope it helps, let me know if it's working for you.

L.

Beans

This is how I got JavaHL to work:

I presume you've installed Eclipse Ganymede by hand, since it's not in the Ubuntu repos. The problem comes from the fact that the subclipse plugin requires subversion 1.5.x installed, while Ubuntu 8.04 comes with subversino 1.4.x. So if we want it to work, we'll have to uninstall subversion from the Ubuntu repos and compile subversion ourselves.

Let's assume you have Eclipse Ganymede installed in /usr/share/eclipse, and that you're using a JDK installed in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk.

1. In order to be able to compile subversion, you need to make sure the following packages installed: libapr-1, libapr1-dev, libaprutil1, libaprutil1-dev
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install libapr-1 libapr1-dev libaprutil1 libaprutil1-dev
    2. Make sure the Ubuntu package libsvn-java is not installed, this is the one we're about to compile for ourselves in the following steps
    3. Now download the subclipse sources and untar them (e.g. in your user's home)
      Code:
      tar -xvjf subversion-1.5.1.tar.bz2
    4. Enter the directory, configure and build javahl (as normal user) and install (as super user)
      Code:
      cd subversion-1.5.1
      ./configure --enable-javahl --with-jdk=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/
      make javahl
      sudo make install-javahl
    5. Now the javahl libraries are installed in /usr/local/lib but you probably want them in /usr/lib/jni.
      Code:
      sudo cp /usr/local/lib/libsvnjavahl-1.* /usr/lib/jni/
      sudo cp /usr/local/lib/svn-javahl/svn-javahl.jar /usr/share/java/
      The first command has not copied the symbolic links correctly, it has replaced them by copies of the actual files. This works, but you may want fix the links.
    6. For some reason Eclipse still doesn't pick them up now, so we'll have to be a bit more persuasive. You should add a line -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni to the file /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.ini (edit as super user) after the -vmargs line
    7. Install http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x as Eclipse update site, and install subclipse with the javahl adapter

Now you should have JavaHL working in Eclipse Ganymede! Double-check by opening Window->Preferences->Team->SVN, and select JavaHL under "SVN Interface" section. It should say "JavaHL (JNI) 1.5.1..." instead of the dreaded "JavaHL(JNI) Not Available"!

Hope this helps,

Peter
    Last edited by peterdm; August 2nd, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    I have Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede) and Subclipse here on my 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 laptop.

As far as I know, the JavaHL stuff (native library for SVN access) is not absolutely required. Subclipse can either use JavaHL or a pure Java interface.

In Eclipse, go to Window / Preferences / Team / SVN. Select "SVNKit (Pure Java)" instead of JavaHL as the SVN interface.
    This seems to be working nicely for me, too.

Beans

Yet another alternative is to install subversion from the Intrepid repos. That will work with JavaHL as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peterdm View Post

Now you should have JavaHL working in Eclipse Ganymede! Double-check by opening Window->Preferences->Team->SVN, and select JavaHL under "SVN Interface" section. It should say "JavaHL (JNI) 1.5.1..." instead of the dreaded "JavaHL(JNI) Not Available"!

Hope this helps,

Peter
    I've still JavaHL(JNI) Not Available. The procedure is ok, even if I had to install also libsvn-dev for a relink error during make install.

also svnadmin command has no effect in the shell and give me this:

Code:
    $ svnadmin
    The program 'svnadmin' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install subversion
    bash: svnadmin: command not found
    is it subversion 1.5.1 not installed?

Thank you!

Beans

I've finally installed Subversion 1.5.1 with "make install" only command. Now svnadmin works fine.

But Eclipse still not find JavaHL.

I'm using:
    - Ubuntu Hardy
    - Eclipse 3.4
    - Subversion 1.5.1
    - Subclipse 1.4.3
    - Subversion Client Adapter 1.5.1
    - Subversion Native Library Adapter (JavaHL) 1.5.1.1

SVNKit works fine as a client but is not able to find repository

- repository "svnadmin create ~/SVN"... ok
    - location "svn://localhost"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ominolore View Post
    Hello everybody.
    I'm a JavaEE developer, currently using Ubuntu Hardy + Eclipse Europa. I'd like to upgrade to Eclipse Ganymede but I really can't get Subclipse to work.

I have problems with the installation of JavaHL libraries I really can go through, that's why I really need your help, Ubuntu community!

In order to operate, Subclipse needs to use an SVN interface (JavaHL), but I can't find a way to set it up in Ganymede. First I tried to install the JavaHL libraries from the Sublipse update, with no success.
    Then I tried to use JavaHL binding in Ubuntu repositories installing the libsvn-javahl package. Again, with no success.

Anytime I try to configure the Subclipse plugin it tells that the JavaHL interface cannot be found. Anybody succeeded in such an upgrade? I really can't find how to get through it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    L.
    I found it easier to use the Subversive plugin instead. See : http://blog.punchbarrel.com/2008/06/...ipse-ganymede/ In the comments there's an approach that works on Ubuntu...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast