Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best opensource graphical image editor/creator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Best opensource graphical image editor/creator

Quote Originally Posted by Magnes View Post
    Hey, there is MonoPaint. Why don't use it if you need Paint.NET?
    I just Googled MonoPaint and found nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by AJB2K3 View Post
    Just to point out something.
    If gimp looked and operated just like photflop it would no exist due to the authors being taken to court for copyright breaches.
    Gimp operating the way it does prevents anyone claiming that its ripping off there software, how ever 1 window is top of the list of what people want.
    That would be called a monopolizing the market and that would be illegal. You cant copyright a UI. Thats just silly. As long as Gimp did not steal any code then they are good.
    (DESKTOP)Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 Ghz, 4G ram, nvidia 8800 GT 1G, LOTS of architecture programs
    (LAPTOP XPS 1530) Intel Core2 duo 2.2Ghz, 3G ram, Nvidia 8600m gt

Beans
    Distro

Well in Gimp 2.6 and in the 2.5 release, they merged the toolbar into the image section.

And are gonna make it all in one window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My wife has CS2 and a Mac, it looks just like GIMP, with the different windows.

As for FOSS programs:
    It all depends on what you want to do as far as what program you want to use. Last week I just made mock-ups of changes I wanted to do for a web site on GIMP. Then for another business I had to make some mailing fliers so I tried Inkscape, for the first time I might add. It took a minute to see where everything was, but in a few hours I made 2 different fliers. It was much faster and easier than using GIMP, which I normally swear by. It had pictures and a map, I just put them where they needed to go, they came edited.

Photos: UFRaw, GIMP
    Everything else: GIMP, Incscape

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by lyceum View Post
    My wife has CS2 and a Mac, it looks just like GIMP, with the different windows.
    I think the problem isn't the windows up top, but the windows at the bottom. It would be annoying if there was another icon in the OS X dock for every palette open.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I think the problem isn't the windows up top, but the windows at the bottom. It would be annoying if there was another icon in the OS X dock for every palette open.
    I guess it is preference. That is one of the things I like about GIMP. I can have around 10 windows open just on one panel on my desktop cube and being able to click on the "Layers" or "GIMP" is the way I like it. I hope they let us have the option in 2.6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy paint.net - no go

I tried to install paint.net under wine - with fingers crossed but it came back failed. It won't run as wine doesn't emulate well enough and paint.net cant run... sad but true.
    THE OFFICIAL SMILE - smiling once again!

PHANTOM JOKER

Beans
    Distro

Re: paint.net - no go

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjoker View Post
    I tried to install paint.net under wine - with fingers crossed but it came back failed. It won't run as wine doesn't emulate well enough and paint.net cant run... sad but true.
    I believe it's because Linux doesn't have the .NET frameworks, but I read that Ubuntu will get some Mono thing and will be able to run Paint.net

To T2Manner : In m.h.o. Gimp is and stays the best open source image editor/creator. Searching for a real open source alternative for the open source alternative of photoshop is in my opinion a waist of time.

Try it out, get used to it, and start designing, would be my advise, unless of course, you are not a designer, but a developer trying to find out what tools are around.

Beans
    Distro

I find that setting the Gimp toolbox to be always on top (somewhere in the gimp preferences) and using a maximised image window is a pretty good way to work with the Gimp. It's almost like having an MDI (aka photshop) type interface.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast