Thread: Time Machine or Restore Point?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Time Machine or Restore Point?

A selling point of OSX Leopard is the 'Time Machine' where you can restore the system to a previous configuration. Windows has the Restore Point.

How difficult would it be to include something like this in Ubuntu? If an update caused a glitch, or if someone did something to mess up their system, they could restore back to how it was when it worked.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Time Machine or Restore Point?

ridff-backup is a program that does a similiar thing, takes a snapshot of whatever (folder, filesystem) and then at a configured time, starts saving deltas (differences) between the original and the new, and you can restore certain dates and all of that

the program is already there, and i think there is a program called timevault that attempts to do this, although i didnt like it. i can reinstall ubuntu easily enough, i just care about my home folder, so i run ridff-backup on it every now and again
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com