Thread: Dolphin Columns

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Dolphin Columns

Hi Friends..i just wanted to know if we can have custom columns in Dolphin like filetype which is possible in Nautilus.

thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Dolphin Columns

I'm not quite sure what you mean, seeing as I don't use Nautilus, but in detail view you can add any info you want, just right click the column titles and add/remove any of the columns you want.
    "I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ The Black Mage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Settings -> Configure Dolphin ->View Modes. Select the Details tab and you have a bit of control over the columns. Note that these will only work if you're in the Details view mode.
    E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.
    Linux User #28251
    Professional Java Geek

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by txcrackers View Post
    Settings -> Configure Dolphin ->View Modes. Select the Details tab and you have a bit of control over the columns. Note that these will only work if you're in the Details view mode.

Not quite what a windows user would expect, in windows we have the options for these:

View: Choose Details--> Name Size Type Date Modified Pages Dimensions Date Created Date Accessed Attributes Status Owner Author Title Subject Category Comments Copyright Artist Album Title, Year, Track Number, Genre, Duration, Bit Rate, Protected, Camera Model, Date Picture Taken, Episode Name, Program Description, Audio sample size, Audio sample rate, Channels, Company, Description, File Version, Product Name, Product Version, Keywords...

(on windows) I was able to add my own custom one in about 1/2 hour with -- a pay -- version of visual studio 2005 that sorted alphabetically by the last 5 characters in the filename. borrowing code from an MD5 column demo and (sequence number).

It comes down to needing a nice shell extension manager / api so we can add remove features without recompiling the whole thing to get what we want.

So, I use: Name Size Type Date Modified Pages Dimensions Date Created, and my custom one.

Now, Dolphin has the filter bar -- this makes up a lot for sort by type... but not fully... though the filter bar may be better in most cases, I still want to sort by type. Mp3 info would be great and I'd use it... Basically there needs to be shell extensions.