Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark cloud of DRM looming

Beans

Dark cloud of DRM looming

thank god linux is open see these two articles and see that DRM pushed harder than ever-copy protected audio cd's on windoze can be bypassed simply by disabling autorun in windoze
    http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/secu...aids_hack.html

the above like is disturbing due to the fact spyware rootkit-ed will be almost untracable and if sony can do it the spyware companies won't be far behind!!!

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

Trusting computing-a friendly term for a crock

Beans

Re: Dark cloud of DRM looming

EMI's latest copy protection won't let you play your audio CD if you're not connected to the internet. This is the most ridiculous copy protection I've ever seen; it's simply not tolerable. And their CDs don't play under Linux and most macs.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    EMI's latest copy protection won't let you play your audio CD if you're not connected to the internet. This is the most ridiculous copy protection I've ever seen; it's simply not tolerable.

Theres always line-in and audacity

Beans

But there isn't always a standalone CD player or a Windows installation. I should be able to play my CD with whatever OS I choose to use. If EMI is assuming otherwise I'll simply not buy anything from them.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, but the chances of something like that sticking isn't very high, and I doubt it'll affect linux users, i can rip and play many of my "copy protected" cds, which won't rip in windows

poptones Guest

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

Trusting computing-a friendly term for a crock

Ahhh.. except that with a TC platform system there would be no way to install said "rootkit" without the user's consent. Have you actually read anything on the subject other than the negative propoganda you cite?

Beans

yes I have if your a software vendor or media company it's great for licencing-the computer.
    user benefits as the system can blacklist bad code and ensure greater compatibility.

sounds great until you realise what a pain in the bum a closed system is and should a vendor upset say microsoft then in effect their software is dead in the water banned and un-installable. RIAA wet dream-imagine all p2p banned unless microsoft and music industry agreed. suddenly it's not the greater good

Microsoft will undoubtedly have different levels of tc for instance any ms software will have 100% trust, where any say third party vendor will be given say upto 90% trust unless they are blacklisted.
    It all hints of the console type control where the game studio pay to be an xbox game.
    Now imagine your fav app is blacklisted your choices are limited to-find one not blacklisted or buy a microsoft tc approved.

Secondly this bright new world requires encryption enabled hardware-now this takes the openness of pc's away.

A certain console manufacturer is so DRM that only licenced controllers will work and I forsee a situation were limited directly by antitrust suits the empire will expand by forcing companies to pay to be recognised as okay to install.

no way to install rootkit-err I disagree if microsofts key gets compromised or the system gets hacked then like xp did it's not safe-for instance I always wondered about how secure the microsoft hidden accounts that they have for their use in registry are.
    or for instace a something like a buffer overflow where secure access to the kernel functions is compromised.

now not because I dispise MS do I write this, but because they rule the desktop it will be come fact. DRM has been accepted on Itunes and already component manufacturers are building DRM directly into the component.
    It will become increasingly difficult to avoid as component manufacturers will do a windows compatible product and by association linux users will find the product has these features- not by choice but economics of market share
    Last edited by teaker1s; November 2nd, 2005 at 12:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I just wish media company executives would be honest and admit they're introducing bills like this not to prevent piracy, but to swim in more profits. I mean, a little honesty can't be that hard to show, can it?
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Beans

open and closed os-nothing at all against either-but by going the trusting computing route you loose ultimate control of what can be installed and because ms are so big they will force hardware manufacturers to change and by leveraging this kind of control DRM will be unavoidable for any kind of content.
    Format and content providers will have to change and this will break things and cause extra headaches for the opensource community.
    for a start content playback

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NeoChaosX
    I just wish media company executives would be honest and admit they're introducing bills like this not to prevent piracy, but to swim in more profits. I mean, a little honesty can't be that hard to show, can it?
    In the words of Van Morrison:

Well, they told me to come on over
    I made my way to New York
    And they tried to have me deported
    Stop me from getting work
    Blacklisted me all over
    They were vicious and they were mean
    They were bigtime operators
    Baby, on the music business scene

Oh, they looked like politicians
    But underneath they were thugs
    And they spread malicious rumours