I've been using Linux for years. Where I work all of the developers are given Macbook Pros. I tried out OS X but after about two weeks I ended up installing Ubuntu alongside OS X, and have been using it almost exclusively ever since.

The one problem that I've had is that using Ubuntu when my MBP is not connected to a keyboard and mouse is really inconvenient. It's difficult to copy/paste between a lot of applications with only one mouse button. I've also found myself frustrated by the lack of a lot of the standard keys on the MBP keyboard -- in particular, I use the insert key a lot (shift insert pastes in a terminal), as well as the home/end and page up/page down keys. In my usual setup at work and when I bring my laptop home this isn't a problem since I've got the computer plugged in with a real mouse/keyboard, but when I'm mobile this is really inconvenient. I end up always booting into OS X just so I can copy/paste and have a somewhat functional work environment.

My question is, how do fellow Linux users use their Macs when they're not "plugged in"? How do you adjust to the fact that you don't have three mouse buttons, how do you adjust to the fact that you're missing keys, etc? Are there any sets of keybindings or packages that you can use to make working on the Mac more bearable?

P.S. I use Gnome so I'm mostly interested in advice that is applicable to Gnome, but if you have suggestions for other DEs I'm interested in hearing them as well.