Thread: Usb penn shuts down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Usb penn shuts down

Hello, I have tried many forums, but cannot get an answer.

I have installed ubuntu 8.04 on my HP pavillion dv9041ea, on an 8gb usb device. It works GREAT, but there is a problem, if I am watching something that is not directly using the penn, it shuts down in a weird way. When I watch a movie from my harddrive using VLC, the usb penn, shuts down, and stops lighting. At this point my movie is still playing, my sesktop is still there, but I cannot do anything on my desktop, nothing opsens, and I can only shut down through the power button, because it can not find the shutdown program. At this stage, if i manually remove the system-usb-penn, with all the programs and the movie playing program, nothing happens, all seems normal until I try to open a program or shut it down.. When it has stopped lighting, nothing happens when I pull it out from the usb. If it was a hdd, it would restart, but the flash drive does not. Please help me, and this command, gives the the following result, but it still shuts down:

pyro@pyro-laptop:~$ sudo hdparm -S000 /dev/sda
    [sudo] password for pyro:

/dev/sda:
    setting standby to 0 (off)

Please help me, I am about to give it all up, and go back to XP...
    Last edited by Pyro_Killer; July 5th, 2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelleys
    The mass media controls what you think, by limiting what you see. Long live forums, chatrooms and comunities!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Usb penn shuts down

Bump, I need an answer or anything.

When I download stuff to any harddrive, it does not shut down, but that is not an option.Is there any programs maybe that can emulate/fake activity on the hardrive, almoust like a dummyu downloader that downloads at 2-3bits a second? Creativity or code, give me something!!!
    The mass media controls what you think, by limiting what you see. Long live forums, chatrooms and comunities!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

bump the lumpy humps, no answers?
    BECAUSE I REALLY NEEED SOME!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am very disappointed in the service I have recived on the matter, but what I have concluded is that if azureus runs in the background, without trransferring data, but eating my ram, it does not shut off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi

Could this happend because some power saving option in bios or OS ?
    Regards,
    Jari

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Both are checked, and none are affecting this.