Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a web server

Beans

Unhappy Installing a web server

Hi
    I have downloaded Apache2.2.9 tar file.The instalation guide asks me to copy the tar file in /usr/local/directory.but i am not able to do it because it says I don't have any rights since i am not in root.Also I tried to do in my own directory.This is what i did:
    I unzipped the tar file of Apache(its name being httpd-2.2.9.tar.bz2) in my own directory.Then using terminal i connected directory by 'cd' then did ./configure.
    After that it does lots of checking and then i did 'make' and after lots of procedure i did 'make install'.These were the instructions given in the LINUX FOR YOU magazine in one of the articles regarding setting up web servers.But then how do i know my server has started,
    Then anyone could anyone guide me with PHP5.2.6 installation in short word. I also want to install MySQL.I wanted one more advice which databse platform is better MySQL or SQlLite.I dont know the difference.Thank you for the efforts for reading these.Please help i hav tried almost all the sources and i am a newbie in linux and have installed UBUNTU_8.04

Beans

Re: Installing a web server

why not just install apache etc from the repo's? go to Application>accessories>terminal
    and enter:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache2 mysql-server php5-mysql
    you can then copy anything you want to be accessable to the /var/www directory, it will ask for the mysql root password as well, install mysql-admin if you want to manage mysql easier.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Installing a web server

I did all this things that u have mentioned(but not the MySQLadmin).After that how to make a PHP file in www directory.It is not showing me any option to create since it is in root directory.How to get the rights of root?

Beans

I'm guessing this is a localhost where nothing needing high security is going right(because if not these tips are way too insecure, you should use sudo instead: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo ):
    Chown the www folder
    Code:
    sudo chown -R USERNAME /var/www
    of you can make /var/www a public folder:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /var/www

make a note of there 3 commands somewhere as well, they start/stop/restart apache:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    , rather essential basics I think.
    Last edited by scragar; July 5th, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    why not just install apache etc from the repo's? go to Application>accessories>terminal
    and enter:
    Code:
    you can then copy anything you want to be accessable to the /var/www directory, it will ask for the mysql root password as well, install mysql-admin if you want to manage mysql easier.
    I agree to that! Don't do it with a tar file unless there's a specific reason for doing so! The repositories are there to make your life easier! However, if you're running the Desktop version, I'd say go through Synaptic Package Manager (system > administration) to avoid the terminal if you're not that familliar with it.. Search for apache2, and download it.. If running the server version of ubuntu with no gui, run:

Code:
    It will ask for your password to "perform administrative tasks"..

When installed, type in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache.conf
    and edit the configuration file. ctrl-X to exit and y to save, followed by enter to accept the default filename. It is pretty easy to figure out.

Then go to /var/www/

This is your http://127.0.0.1/

(where 127.0.0.1 is to be replaced with your public broadcast IP for global internet access)

If you want to add a folder such as http://127.0.0.1/folder/
    just add /var/www/folder/

There is a default index.html file in /var/www/ if you install apache2 from the repositories. Just edit this, this is your start page!
    Last edited by jesushero; July 5th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do not change the user in /var/www it should only be root or www-data. To copy files to /var/www use either:

Code:
    gksu nautilus
    or in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo cp <file> /var/www
    Jim

Beans

Thanks for the advice.
    But still i am not able to start apache.Because when i restart my apache with command i get the following error.

* Restarting web server apache2 Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/fqdn.save.1:
    Invalid command 'exit', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

[fail]

I feel this is because before posting my query in this forum i had edited thi file but i wasnt able to exit.So i typed exit in it but no help then i closed the terminal window to exit.Probably this could have been saved automatically.So what can i do now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Open up the file with a command line editor like nano and edit the file. Nano is the default editor installed eg:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apache2/conf.d/fqdn.save.1
    or just delete the file and start all over again.

Jim

Beans

Ya it has worked.I am extremely Thank you to all of you!!

Thanks to cariboo907,jesushero,scragar

Beans

Hey can anyone tell how to make MySql start.Also i downloaded phpMyadmin from synaptic.But it is not giving me option for create database a cross appears near it and says NO PRIVILEGES.What mistake i may i have done??
    Plz tell me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast