Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Ubuntu? Discussion...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: A helpful thread for newbies.

For instant logout press ctrl+alt+backspace.
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i think the ctrl+alt+backspace restarts the X Server, but it also logs you out.
    i may be wrong.

anyway thanks for the post
    very useful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: A helpful thread for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by T2manner View Post
    i think the ctrl+alt+backspace restarts the X Server, but it also logs you out.
    i may be wrong.

anyway thanks for the post
    very useful!
    Correct also this allows you to run any other desktops you have installed like xubuntu for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans

very useful.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes. Just organize better the information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: New to Ubuntu? Start here...

Hello, all!

New to Ubuntu, after a year of Gentoo.

I knew at once i preferred this OS to my previous one, given the difference in time taken to install.

It took me a week of compiling kernels, partitioning disks, unmasking portage packages, switching desktop environments, and 20 hour days to get it installed, and even after that, there was a new problem to fix every week.

With Ubuntu, i booted the live CD, hit "install", and was shell scripting within the hour. I don't care how much some geeks like for everything to be difficult, i prefer the occasional amount of efficiency. For anybody new to Linux or in need of no-nonsense computer usage, this is the way to go.

P.S.

Yes, ctrl+alt+backspace shuts down the X server, but annoyingly, it restarts it immediately afterward. For those wanting a command line to begin with, and then the option of choosing the desktop environment that they want afterward, do simply the following:

Code:
    mv /etc/rc3.d/S30gdm /etc/rc3.d/K80gdm
    mv /etc/rc3.d/S10xserver-xorg-input-wacom /etc/rc3.d/K80xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    simply reverse (switch the two arguments around) the commands to make it start GNOME automatically again.
    Last edited by s3r4phim; June 9th, 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: code correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: New to Ubuntu? Start here...

hi. thanks for the 411 for geezer newbies like me. down with microsoft. long live ubuntu!!!!

Beans

New to Ubuntu? Discussion...

Hi, i'm new to Ubuntu. Installed it on tuesday, Its the best Linux distro i've ever tried (well thanks to all the how-to's). I must say with the other Distros' it is harder to find help than it is with this one. In the few days that i have been using it, i managed to install wine, to get Lotus notes running on it, and get pass our proxy server(legally) which is all i needed to convert from wind~. I've tried 4 different flavors unsuccessfully b4 running to mac since it was based on unix too. So I must thank all those who take their time to write Ubuntu Wiki's and How-to's. U have brought light to where there was none.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: New to Ubuntu? Start here...

Another new one here... been messing with ubuntu since I downloaded a live CD image of 7.04 a year ago. I built my first machine in 1993 and have pieced boxes together since then.
    In 2005, during grad school I picked up a 12" 1.33 ghz iBook G4 and loved it but still had PC's around. I do OK configuring software but I am more of build-your-own hardware person than learn software. What I know of Windoze is a result trouble-shooting many different machines.

After reading on some other forums, I decided to give Ubuntu a try. After I move next month, I want to set up an Ubuntu fileserver on my home network and run a regular back-up to it. Currently, I have Hardy dual-booted with XP Pro installed on my old Toshiba laptop 1.0 Ghz, an old Athlon XP 2 GHz machine and our everyday Athlon 64 3200 mhz oc'd to 3450 mhz.

Thanks for the resources and time that you all put into the forum.

Travis
    Ubuntu learner, Mac user and Windows repairer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast