Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Disk free space problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Beans
    111
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Disk free space problems

    Hi,
    It seems that mythtv does not behave nicely when the disk is small.
    I have a 80gb disk, and about once a month I get free space related problems.
    The backend does not starts-up and the frontend deletes all my preferences (like Playback and OSD configuration).

    The problems are caused due to either a huge log file (I had some weird repeating log line "skipping frame" or something) or due to large recording files.

    So:
    1) How can I limit the size of the log files?
    2) How can I configure mythtv to automatically delete old clips when space is needed?

    Thanks,
    Menny

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    4,427
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Disk free space problems

    Sounds like the recording directory is on the same partition as the as root, which isn't ideal.

    You can either fix that, or in either the frontend setup or mythtv-setup there is a setting for amount of free disk space to keep.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Beans
    111
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Disk free space problems

    So, it will automatically delete old recording?
    What about the log file? Is there a way to limit it size?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Beans
    111
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Disk free space problems

    Hi,
    MY free space problem is getting annoying. I have three partitions:
    1) Linux and MythTV installation - 80gb
    2) Recording (livetv and default) - 250gb
    3) Media files (movies and music) - 250gb

    I suspect that mythtv does not delete old files, since I get ZERO free space on the recording partition.

    Can someone explain to me how to configure mythtv to delete clips when space is needed, and how to configure it to delete LiveTV clips after two days automatically.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Disk free space problems

    Quote Originally Posted by menny View Post
    Hi,
    MY free space problem is getting annoying. I have three partitions:
    1) Linux and MythTV installation - 80gb
    2) Recording (livetv and default) - 250gb
    3) Media files (movies and music) - 250gb

    I suspect that mythtv does not delete old files, since I get ZERO free space on the recording partition.

    Can someone explain to me how to configure mythtv to delete clips when space is needed, and how to configure it to delete LiveTV clips after two days automatically.

    Thanks.
    Howdy Menny,
    Are you sure it isn't deleting LiveTV clips automatically? I believe the default behavior is 1 day. If it is going beyond that, you should verify the setting.

    For the rest... as tgm4883 said, in frontend setup, under general settings, there is setting with wording something like "Free Disk Space Threshold." I believe that Myth doesn't delete anything until it falls below that threshold, and then it only deletes the oldest items until it rises above that threshold again. In other words, Myth tries to keep shows on your hard drive for as long as possible.

    The last setting of interest is for when you actually delete a recording. Check Setup->TV Settings->General->2nd Page, where you should find the "Autoexpire instead of Delete" checkbox. If checked, it keeps deleted recordings around as well (but autoexpires them first when disk space crosses the above mentioned threshold).

    Marc

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Beans
    111
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Question Re: Disk free space problems

    Hi Marc,
    I've check the configuration again:
    Auto expire method: Lowest priority first
    LiveTV max age: 1
    priority weight: 1
    Extra disk space: 10 <- is this "Free Disk Space Threshold"?
    Auto expire instead of delete recording: unchecked.

    Am I configured correctly?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Beans
    151
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Disk free space problems

    Quote Originally Posted by menny View Post
    Hi Marc,
    I've check the configuration again:
    Auto expire method: Lowest priority first
    LiveTV max age: 1
    priority weight: 1
    Extra disk space: 10 <- is this "Free Disk Space Threshold"?
    Auto expire instead of delete recording: unchecked.

    Am I configured correctly?
    Yes, extra disk space is the name of it now. Everything looks correct.

    Are you having the problem now? If so, what is the output of the "df" command from a Unix shell? Also, are there any log files in in /var/log that are growing very rapidly, such that it would prevent mythtv from keeping the filesystem space available?

    Also, take note of this from the mythtv wiki
    If Myth is not recording to a filesystem, it does not autoexpire programs <...>so until a recording starts and is being written to the filesystem in question, no programs will be expired from that filesystem.
    Marc

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Beans
    3,239

    Re: Disk free space problems

    Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Sounds like the recording directory is on the same partition as the as root, which isn't ideal.

    You can either fix that, or in either the frontend setup or mythtv-setup there is a setting for amount of free disk space to keep.
    unfortunately this is the way the boneheaded mythbuntu installer sets it up for you, unless you decide to manually partition. Even then nothing tells you that you need to mount the data partition on /var/lib/mythtv.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    4,427
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Disk free space problems

    Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    unfortunately this is the way the boneheaded mythbuntu installer sets it up for you, unless you decide to manually partition. Even then nothing tells you that you need to mount the data partition on /var/lib/mythtv.
    Your concern has been noted. Please be advised that the installer is Ubiquity and getting a different partition recipe in there isn't exactly straight forward.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Beans
    3,239

    Re: Disk free space problems

    What would be nice as a minimum is some documentation telling you where to mount a separate partition, ath the partitioning stage, would be useful.

    On page 33 of the install guide it says
    Your now able to choose how you wish to partition the disk space. It’s recommended that you select Guided Partition and the drive you wish to partition. and click the forward button. You can however manually partition your drive but it won’t be covered here. You would do this if you where to install the OS onto one drive and your recordings onto another.
    On page 77 it states
    As long as you setup a separate partition for /var/lib during the initial setup, the default option here - /var/lib/mythtv will work fine.
    So page 33 recommends a guided partitioning (which ends up as one big / partition) whereas page 77 proceeds on the basis that you have set up separate partitions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •