Thread: [SOLVED] Min and Max buttons gone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] Min and Max buttons gone

I was playing around with some themes and I lost the min and max buttons on the top right corner of my windows. Its strange. Also, when I go to System-> Preferences I cannot find the Themes either. It doesn't exist anymore. Also, when the window is un-maximized I cannot move it around by holding down the right click on the mouse, nor does it allow me to move it around when I hold alt-left click. I think it might be something simple but I don't know what it might be. Normally, if I screwed up this bad I would just reinstall but I just put Vista on this machine and then I loaded Ubuntu in a dual boot and needless to say I don't want to spend all day reinstalling 2 OS in a dual boot if I could avoid it. I appreciate anyone that can help me this strange problem. I've been using Ubuntu awhile now and I can usully google my way out of things but this time I am stuck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Min and Max buttons gone

Are you using a nvidia graphics card?
    If worst to the worst and youhave to reinstall, you should only have to reinstall ubuntu.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bumanie View Post
    Are you using a nvidia graphics card?
    If worst to the worst and youhave to reinstall, you should only have to reinstall ubuntu.
    No, and I had this problem before with an older box. The way I fixed it before was a complete reinstall I just barley got all the apps that I need on this machine (my laptop). I wish I knew what the hell I did wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Compiz and desktop effects are known to cause this problem on occasions. If you have enabled such, try turning them off and see what happens.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I noticed they had got turned off when the the problem initially happened. I turned them back on later when I was trying to fix it. I had also turned on the rain and fire effects too.

I turned everything off now and nada. I dont know why I cant get to themes though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah HA! I got it!

System-> Preferences-> Appearance-> Visual Effects-> EXTRA

Set from Extra back to normal.

I guess my graphics card sucks. Cool its all back to the way it was and even compiz is working good again. I guess I got too greedy.