Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What cool things can I do with an 8gb Flash Drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What cool things can I do with an 8gb Flash Drive?

I recently picked up a Sandisk 8GB Flash Drive incredibly cheaply. I can't get over the fact that it's 3cm x 1cm (small enough to fit easily on my keyring) and it holds 8GB. Anyway...

What suggestions do people have for doing something cool/useful/interesting with it? I mean, other than storing 8GB of files. I love experimenting and I didn't buy it for any specific reason (just because it was so cheap!) so I'm open to anything really!

Installing some Linux distro on it for use as a recovery/system fixing tool is an obvious choice. Does anyone know if it's possible to install XP or Win2K on a USB drive, boot from it, and use that instead of a virtual machine on the odd occasions that Windows is useful?

Thanks in advance for ideas!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What cool things can I do with an 8gb Flash Drive?

I will buy it, no really, I will.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: What cool things can I do with an 8gb Flash Drive?

I have seen instructions on how to load a whole distro on a thumbdrive so that you can just plug in and run it. I also have a acquaintance who told me quickly how to use my 2 gig thumbdrive as a ram device on my limited 256 ram computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba64 View Post
    I have seen instructions on how to load a whole distro on a thumbdrive so that you can just plug in and run it. I also have a acquaintance who told me quickly how to use my 2 gig thumbdrive as a ram device on my limited 256 ram computers.
    I was thinking of that too - an extra 2 gig of RAM would be brilliant on my laptop. But surely via USB it's not as fast as RAM on a chip, so that would negate any performance benefits?
    Last edited by infinitejones; July 5th, 2008 at 09:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by barbedsaber View Post
    I will buy it, no really, I will.
    www.shoppingsquare.com.au. AU$40 (=~US$37), delivered, on special last weekend (but I do live in Australia, so that makes the postage cheaper). I bet there's other places online where you'd find them cheaper...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: What cool things can I do with an 8gb Flash Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitejones View Post
    I was thinking of that too - an extra 2 gig of RAM would be brilliant on my laptop. But surely via USB it's not as fast as RAM on a chip, so that would negate any performance benefits?
    This person I run into occasionally is a javascript something I have never really asked what he does. I didn't listen close to his instructions but he claims it would speed up my ancient A21m IBM thinkpad.

Beans

It's not faster than ram but its faster than swap because the seek time on a flash drive is much shorter than that of a HDD.
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think you could use it as a swap partition. I doubt it would be as fast as ram, but it might be faster than using the Harddrives swap partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatz View Post
    It's not faster than ram but its faster than swap because the seek time on a flash drive is much shorter than that of a HDD.
    It seems that was the way my acquaintance explained it, so how do you do this, not being a geek myself, I assume this is a partition thang.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Why not install backtrack?

Or shoot it with a shotgun and place the pieces on someones bed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast