Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: nvidia 9500m gs question

Beans

Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

add2700 indicated that it would indeed break the patch. I would not recommend doing that.

NOTE: Ubuntu updater will want you to install it's own deb packages of the same name again but just ignore them, or else the patch will break.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes, DO NOT install any of ubuntu's patches of the same name as you created. Apparently you can't tell ubuntu to not advertise those individual patches.

Beans

Is there any chance they will address this issue in future kernel releases? It's sort of a big deal,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by add2700 View Post
    Yes, DO NOT install any of ubuntu's patches of the same name as you created. Apparently you can't tell ubuntu to not advertise those individual patches.
    It's too bad it's not it's not possible to tell Ubuntu to ignore those patches. Having the notification icon up all the time is a bit annoying.

Beans

Hi add2700,

I'm following your indications but I can't go on after executing the line:

Quote Originally Posted by add2700 View Post

sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2 fakeroot debian/rules custom-binary-rt

it gives me the following error:

/usr/bin/fakeroot: 166: debian/rules.d: Permission denied

don't know what else to do... Thanks in advance for any help,

Apollo

Beans

apollo: Did you make sure to have all the dependencies/packages (build-essential, configure-debian, and fakeroot)? Did you do apt-get update first?

If it's a permission error, maybe you do not have root privelages. Try typing sudo -s, then password, cd to the Desktop/or wherever the kernel is, and then try again.

I was wondering if anybody knew what to type for that line; if you want to use the generic kernel instead of rt. Is it just...

sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2 fakeroot debian/rules custom-binary-debs, just like the modules?

I have a Core2Duo and I'm not sure if I should use generic instead of rt. I have successfully used both with this patch, but I'm not sure what will better utilize my CPU.

Also, I don't even know if it matters what I type for the initial download, because I seem to get all versions of the kernel when I create the debs anyways.

Beans

Well, I have an ASUS G1Sn too with 3Gb of RAM. I have the same driver issues, but the kernel patch doesn't seem to make any difference.
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. (I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit)

Does anyone know if and when either kernel or nvidia drivers get fixed?

Oh and is there a way to run the vesa or nv drivers in 1680x1050, that would be sufficient. I can do without 3d for now. Browsing these forums in 800x600 is a pain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VernieR View Post
    Well, I have an ASUS G1Sn too with 3Gb of RAM. I have the same driver issues, but the kernel patch doesn't seem to make any difference.
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. (I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit)

Does anyone know if and when either kernel or nvidia drivers get fixed?

Oh and is there a way to run the vesa or nv drivers in 1680x1050, that would be sufficient. I can do without 3d for now. Browsing these forums in 800x600 is a pain.
    Not sure when or if Nvidia will fix the drivers. However, after running the kernel patch I still had to use envy to install the correct video driver and manually edit my xorg.conf in order to get anything other than 800x600 working. Have you already done that as well and still can not get it to work?

Beans

Hi everybody,
    I just wanted to thank you all for your help... IT'S WORKING!!!
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge...
    Apollo

Beans

OK, it works now. I used the fix after a clean install. Last time I had been fiddling around with drivers before I tried to patching the kernel. I guess thats was the problem. Thanks to all, and now lets hope we get a proper fix in future kernel or nvidia drivers

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast