Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nvidia 9500m gs question

Beans

nvidia 9500m gs question

I have an Asus G1Sn-X1 with an NVIDIA GeForce G9500M GS.
    I tried to get it working under Hardy without much luck. I even tried several hacks that were supposed to work with that specific card. Has anyone had any luck with this laptop and chipset?

Does anyone know if this card will be supported in the next major release? Im stuck in vista right now as I have not been able to get any distro to work with this graphics card. =/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

I have the same laptop, and I dunno how soon it will get a fix. I too have tried the hacks with no luck.
    I'm running 64bit 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You can try my guide, I don't own any 9 series nvidia cards, but I'd try it this way first if I bought one.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=nvidia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood2x View Post
    I have an Asus G1Sn-X1 with an NVIDIA GeForce G9500M GS.
    I tried to get it working under Hardy without much luck. I even tried several hacks that were supposed to work with that specific card. Has anyone had any luck with this laptop and chipset?

Does anyone know if this card will be supported in the next major release? Im stuck in vista right now as I have not been able to get any distro to work with this graphics card. =/
    I have the same laptop and I too am running Hardy 8.04 AMD64 (64 bit), and my machine runs perfectly.

I believe you need to download and install the 200+ updates immediately after installing the OS but before you download and enable the nVidia driver. It was a no-brainer installation.

Exactly how did you install the OS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by StormPCs View Post
    I have the same laptop and I too am running Hardy 8.04 AMD64 (64 bit), and my machine runs perfectly.

I believe you need to download and install the 200+ updates immediately after installing the OS but before you download and enable the nVidia driver. It was a no-brainer installation.

Exactly how did you install the OS?
    I used the live disk for hardy 8.04 that was provided on the main website. I tried the install and drivers for it several times before giving up. The install process is not what I am complaining about. Once the operating system is installed I can not get the video drivers working correctly.

I have read several dozen threads where people claim to have the same video chipset and have it working but all the "hacked" drivers out there do not seem to install or work correctly.

Beans
    Distro

I tried the server install, the 32 bit, and the 64bit. The problem is related to having 4GB RAM. Anything more than 3 and the kernel doesn't know how to address it. There are some people that have been able to patch their kernel, but I've tried it 15-20 times with no luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by add2700 View Post
    I tried the server install, the 32 bit, and the 64bit. The problem is related to having 4GB RAM. Anything more than 3 and the kernel doesn't know how to address it. There are some people that have been able to patch their kernel, but I've tried it 15-20 times with no luck.
    I am only on 2.6.24.19 I believe. All I did was installed the OS from the CD I made from the ISO image that I downloaded, rebooted and did all updates before I clicked on the icon, downloaded the proprietary driver and then checked the box to enabled the driver. It was that simple.

I am on the 201 BIOS (which is standard). I did upgrade my CPU from a T5550 to a T9300, and my 4gigs of RAM has been upgraded with high performance memory that runs at 4-4-4-12 instead of 5-5-5-15. Everything else is stock.

What BIOS are you using?

Beans

Storm,

I tried that too and had no luck. You must be lucky.. everyone else I have talked to cant get the nvidia drivers working for some reason.

On a side note were you able to get the side lamps working? I am curious if they will function under wine maybe.

Beans
    Distro

Heya, I'm having a hell of a time getting the nvidia driver to work on my g1sn with 4GB RAM. I've tried all the kernel patches, I'm currently at 2.6.25.10-ultimate 64bit but can't get the nvidia drivers to load. How did you do it?

Beans

Have you guys tried taking one stick of RAM out to see if the 4GB is an issue? My 4GB works fine but others seem to think it's a problem.

The first time I installed Ubuntu I could not get the nVidia driver to work properly but the next two times I did it exactly as my previous post states and it was fine.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast