Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

The community 2D game list so far:

Special Mention (via Wine or requires hardware openGL)

-----

I am currently searching high and low for great 2D games for Linux. By 2D games, I mean games that do not require Direct Rendering.

"In the age of 3D gaming, and with great 3D games for Linux like Tremulous, Nexuiz, Gridwars, and Frets on Fire, why look for 2D games", you may ask. For a few simple reasons:
    • You have an old PC with a Riva GFX card
    • Worse, you are cursed with a SiS graphics card
    • You believe that great games can be made in 2D (ex. Castlevania. Just think about all the great games before 3D cards came into view)
    • You believe some games would've looked better if it had been done with 2D sprites instead of crappy 3D models/engine.
    • <Insert 3D game here> focused on graphics but forgot all about gameplay and design)
    • Nostalgia

And on and on... Each of us may have different reasons if and why we like 2D games. I would've added a poll, but as of this moment, there are but a few 2D games I know of. Also, I know there are a LOT of "clones" out there. In helping promote originality, I would also like to ask about good (not necessarily great) but ORIGINAL 2D games as well.

So I'll begin with a few suggestions:

• BattleTanks - Overhead shooter similar to the NES game Battle City where you kill other tanks, change tanks and get power-ups
    • Frozen Bubble - Like Bust-a-move. Excellent graphics.
    • Pingus - Similar to Lemmings, but with Penguins instead.
    • Ri-li - Quite original and polished. It gets a little repetitive after a few levels though.
    Last edited by punong_bisyonaryo; April 15th, 2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Turtix and Jagged Alliance 2

Beans

Re: Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

I'm currently playing Dwarf Fortress.

Site: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
    Screenshot: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/screens.html
    Guide: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/i..._mode_tutorial
    Wine (It's Platinum): http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=5608

It's free but it has an incredibly high learning curve. It's kind of like Dungeon Keeper/Sim City. It's NOT in any way a "pick up and play" game but those looking for depth will like it.
    Currently favorite songs:
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance
    Visit www.cherrypeel.com for more free indie music =)

Beans

Nethack. Didn't notice the grafics yet. But it is DEEP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Chromium is a very addictive game. From their FAQ:

Q: How well will it work with my video card?
    A: This is a loaded question, but in general, Chromium should run well on a wide range of OpenGL hardware. Chromium is intended to run at 50fps, and has been tested successfully on machines ranging from a 266MHz laptop with a 4MB RagePro chip to a dual 800 with a GeForce2.
    My blog | Ubuntu Hardware List | Wine Application Database | Jamendo
    (Don't "sudo rm -rf" anything. See this page)
    It's all about fixing BUG #1!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Teeworlds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The Battle for Wesnoth, offcourse!

One of the best games ever made I just think they may want to make a "blood and gore" version, which wouldn't be as peaceful, and would have some body parts flying around

(Altough it's sys. requirements are steep for a 2d game: AT LEAST 1 ghz processor with 512 MB RAM, and more is (higly!) recommended. Video card doesn't really matter tough)
    Last edited by eragon100; July 4th, 2008 at 11:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Except they completely fail to show any kind of support for linux on their website, lol.

When we even have commercial companies advertising linux support, even via wrappers... XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wow! There are quite a lot pitching in their favorites!

I was able to try Chromium before, but I don't think it counts as "not using direct rendering". The FAQ says it absolutely needs hardware OpenGL to run. Dwarf Fortress looks ok from the screenshots I've seen, although it isn't exactly a native Linux game.

I've yet to try Teeworlds. The screenshots look really nice! I'll go check it out.

Beans

If you're a fan of pokemon, then you should look at shoddy battle. Its a java game, so it runs with no problems on linux.

It is a pokemon battle sim. You make your team of 6 pokemon, including the pokemon from the latest generation, join a server, and battle it out with other people. It is a lot faster than DS wifi, and any pokemon is available to you.

Though I'm not to sure how legal the artwork is (I haven't compared it to the ingame sprites), the program is free.

There is also a surprising amount of strategy involved with pokemon. Now excuse me whilst I go beat up a baton passing Ninjask with my Stallrein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ummm...Gtali?

Thanks for these suggestions, guys. They look really fun.
    Dominique Gerald M. Cimafranca
    Ubuntu Living

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast