Thread: Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

Code:
    sudo apt-get install abuse-sdl
    Is fun.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

2D games are cool, but you have to understand that as a game developer you don't want to work with cpu intensive commands when there are proper API:s that uses graphics cards. You should instead be happy that they use OpenGL, if you don't have a good graphics card I think you can use mesa3d as a last resort.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Tux0r View Post
    2D games are cool, but you have to understand that as a game developer you don't want to work with cpu intensive commands when there are proper API:s that uses graphics cards. You should instead be happy that they use OpenGL, if you don't have a good graphics card I think you can use mesa3d as a last resort.
    If you're going to speak about APIs, I believe there are several 2D APIs as well. I understand what you're saying though, that since there are graphics cards, why not use them? I think It's because it leaves the rest of the old computers in the dirt. Mesa3D isn't really a good alternative since most 3D games have quite steep requirements anyway, unless you have a modern hardware (in which case you'll most likely have a modern GPU anyway). Try playing a 3D game under mesa3D, and you'll cry at the low framerate.

These days, do developers no longer think of 2D? Perhaps a good example would be Warioland: Shake it! for the Wii or Super Robo Wars for the PS3. Although they may likely be using graphic acceleration, but as far as screenshots go, it seems you can pull this off with 2D-only, perhaps sacrificing some effects here and there.

Beans

i remember coming across this really cool 2d arcade shooter on these forums and i can't remember the name of it. it had an 8 bit style and had the kinda broken down feel of Rez (if anyone plays consoles). I really want to play it again but i don't remember the name. help me out people!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My fav is Abuse, haven't played much 2d games, so I don't know much others.
    Keyboard not found!

Press any key to continue...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by punong_bisyonaryo View Post
    These days, do developers no longer think of 2D? Perhaps a good example would be Warioland: Shake it! for the Wii or Super Robo Wars for the PS3. Although they may likely be using graphic acceleration, but as far as screenshots go, it seems you can pull this off with 2D-only, perhaps sacrificing some effects here and there.
    Trust me they are using something similar to OpenGL, and btw OpenGL isn't strictly for 3D you can do
    Code:
    glOrtho(0,r_width,r_height,0,0,1);
    and you won' have depth.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am making a 2D platformer with OpenGL and chipmunk physics. If someone, I know OpenGL can do 2D stuff.

And hey! OpenGL 2D games CAN have depth. I tested it with that ortho perspective.
    Keyboard not found!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Super Mario War? http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/?q=download

I also just got Teeworlds and that game is awesome! Ha ha, so much fun, and I could join random new servers and no one kicked me
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfuturamanoob View Post
    I am making a 2D platformer with OpenGL and chipmunk physics. If someone, I know OpenGL can do 2D stuff.

And hey! OpenGL 2D games CAN have depth. I tested it with that ortho perspective.
    perhaps you also have to glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tux0r View Post
    perhaps you also have to glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST)
    Why?? I can use depth for some special effects without having to change drawing order, like a 2d shadow hiding another object.

I got it working with glOrtho(0, width, height, 0, -1000.0, 0). I don't know why, but depth larger than 0 will get weird results. And negative depth will work correctly.
    I have to just stick with the negative ones. For example, as 'neutral' depth, I use -500 instead of 0.

NOTE: As I said, depth larger than 0 will get weird results. That's why arguments of glOrtho are like that it doesn't draw anything with depth larger than 0.

There was some other stuff too like glDepthFunc, glClearDepth etc.
    Keyboard not found!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast