Thread: Obex File Transfer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Obex File Transfer

When I was using Gutsy, I could just pair my phone (bluetooth) to browse it using Obex, and I even copied a few songs over using nautilus drag and drop.
    Since upgrading to Hardy, I can browse and copy files FROM the phone just like before, but now when I try to copy a file TO the phone, it gives me the error:
    Code:
    Operation not supported by backend
    Any ideas how I can fix this?

PS. My phone does not support Obex push, so I can't do the whole "Send To..." routine.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Obex File Transfer

buuuuump

Beans
    Distro

Jesus christ I just upgraded to Intrepid and this problem was not fixed. Went on google searching to see if it's been fixed and saw this post and I thought "Hey! That's my exact problem!" and I went to reply... only to see I was replying to myself.
    I guess I'm just trying to say "Buuuummmmmmppppp!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy Re: Obex File Transfer

I have exactly the same experience. Is anyone working on fixing this, or is there a workaround? It's really embarrassing, I used to be able to say to my colleagues that Ubuntu and Blue Tooth worked so much better than Windows. But now it's not true.

Beans
    Distro

After googling and reading man pages for a while, it would seem that "obexftp" does exactly what nautilus used to do.
    To use it, simply type in a terminal
    <code>obexftp -b 00:13:00:6C:3E:22 -p song.mp3</code>
    Where that mac address is your phone and song.mp3 is the file you want to send. It doesn't have to be music, either.

Beans

i have the same problem, but the workaround you said isn't working for me because i want to transfer 50> files to a directory somewhere on my bluetooth enabled phone.
    isn't there another application for browsing + sending files over bluetooth?

Beans

In Intrepid, a command-line app called "bluetooth-browser" shows me a list of bluetooth devices and then lets me browse the chosen device with Nautilus. There's probably some way to invoke bluetooth-browser with a GUI, but I didn't find it.

Beans

Try to install package 'openobex-apps'. This solved my problems.

Beans

Hi,

I had the same problem when i tried to copy files from a (samba) network share to my Bluetooth device. I somehow solved this by first copying the files to my local disk and THEN transfer it to my phone. Hope this helps